Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Purchasing first OTA

If the optics, whatever you choose, need a flattener then I'd go for that from the start. With a DSLR-sized chip they probably will. What I would say, though, is buy from a supplier with a good attitude towards returns because optics are variable in quality. The sponsors of this site have a very good reputation in this regard. (When you come to stack images from a run you may find that distortions from a non-flattened field will have an impact on the quality of the stack even away from the edges with the distorted stars. The software can make compromises in alignment in order to align the distorted edges which adversely affect the whole image.)

Olly

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, alacant said:

Mmm. One used camera with which you've had no failures...

By all means recommend otherwise. We however, do not recommend used.

Cheers

Don't cameras become used when you've used them?

Olly

There are lots of very good doublet refractors such the ED80 and 72. You can also pick them up second hand quite cheaply with FF's. I have and ED80 and it is excellent for the money. If you went second hand on the OTA it might leave enough in the pot for a used astro camera. Have a look on Astro buy and Sell - there are some on there now including a 61mm Sharpstar triplet with FF for under 500 pounds. Ideal if you are not guiding.

• Like 2

Something else to think about, thank you. Been trawling ABS, certainly a lot on there that could fit my criteria. 

One thing I am drawn toward the 80ED for is it comes with a finder, diagonal and EP, so I could, even, use this for visual purposes on my AZ GTi until I purchase the mount. 

Have you set your mind one way or the other on refractor/reflector.  My first scope was a Bresser 8 inch Newt; initially used for visual then slowly experimented with web cams (planetary/moon) then DSLR (already had one) then astro cam .  I'm actually going to remount the 8 inch Newtonian back to my rig this summer.  For my second telescope I got a second-hand ED80 Equinox Pro (really good bargain from Astro Boot) and I've been cutting my teeth on imaging proper with this. I've been through the EQMOD with laptop route (quite happy with that) - I image remotely from a permanent observatory.  Since start of this year I swapped out for the ASiAir route, still learning to use it effectively but looks really promising. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

13 hours ago, OK Apricot said:

a few mixed feelings about the 72ED

Remember that the 72ed is bottom of the range material and the examples we've used all needed -albeit easy- adjustments to get them working satisfactorily. On the plus side, they're easily transportable; many of our visitors bring them over as carry-on airline baggage. If you get a good one, you'll be fine.

Possibly the best research you could do would be to go along to an astronomy club meeting. Between them, the members will be able to show you the setups you have in mind first hand and they'll have you up and running in record time once you made your decision. 

Good luck and HTH

My Tuppence  worth sound advice given already , your going portable so I’d go down the Asair pro route and use a Tablet  , (I don’t use myself) there will be a few zwo533mc knocking about once the mono version releases so pick up a used one I did fantastic camera , lookout for a skywatcher Ed80 highly regarded scope , then get a zwo guide camera invest in a belt driven Heq5 , most of my kit has been bought used never personally had any problems with used kit astronomers tend to look after their kit don’t forget you’ll need to power mount in the field all doable with a modest budget buying used where you can , good luck ,honestly  don’t waste your money on a Dslr , just beware if using an Asair you’ll need to use zwo products (unless imaging with a dslr which you want to bypass if possible).

Adding to some excellent information, I see nothing wrong with buying second hand. I bought a used EOS100D from an online market and it works a treat. Maybe I was lucky, but you are after results, not necessarily perfect results. Backyardeos is also excellent. I think I spotted that you do not already have a DSLR, please note that there is quite a learning curve to the DSLR too. If you choose to stick with the DSLR, you can always get a better one later. An ED80 to me would be a great telescope, I was on a wait list with no used ones for months before I switched and bought an alternative. I then bought a ZWO. In my opinion, it was far easier to get that first image than the DSLR and since I have had it, the DSLR is collecting dust. I have absolutely no intention of moving the DSLR on though as using the same telescope, it gives a completely different FOV to the ZWO, it really is all about your targets. I currently use my laptop local to the telescope, so I see your biggest challenge is power supply. Me and batteries have a love hate relationship, they love to fail just at the wrong moment, which I hate, so I built a portable unit which housed a power supply so wherever I stuck the mount, I merely moved the power supply to the mount. Hope it helps.

Thank you everyone for the advice and guidance - I've gone ahead ahead and ordered the Evostar 80ED outfit from FLO. From here and reading outside the forum, video reviews etc it seems like I can't really go wrong with it. I did suspect it would be the final choice but did want to explore other options first. For the time being (until settled on a mount) I can use it here and there if I fancy a bit of visual using my AZ GTi. I'm very excited as it'll be my first high quality refractor and represents more than an investment into the hobby, but into myself as well. 

I've since learned that family are going to help me towards my "dream" astronomy setup (not that I even know what that is yet!), which makes deciding on a mount even easier - the EQ6-R is gorgeous. 

Now the OTA is on its way I can start to focus on the appropriate camera to start out with. Some help from a fellow forum member pointed me in the direction of a ZWO ASI294MC as a good match for this scope, but that thread will be for another day. 

Once again thanks everyone, all the best 👍

1 hour ago, OK Apricot said:

I've since learned that family are going to help me towards my "dream" astronomy setup (not that I even know what that is yet!), which makes deciding on a mount even easier - the EQ6-R is gorgeous. 

The EQ6 is a brilliant mount, but very heavy, which will cause issues if you're designing a portable set-up. FWIW I think you were on the right track with the HEQ5, which is a good match for an 80ED. 

2 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

The EQ6 is a brilliant mount, but very heavy, which will cause issues if you're designing a portable set-up. FWIW I think you were on the right track with the HEQ5, which is a good match for an 80ED. 

I understand the idea that weight=bad, however, heavy as it is, isn't it the one time setting up on the tripod that it's weight becomes a "factor"? I've no issues with lifting weight or making appropriate transit storage in the van, so with that considered, for £300 more surely its worth getting the 6 over the 5? I'd be slightly in a dream world and lying if I said an SCT or large Mak wasn't an option in the future, which would be pushing the HEQ5. 

6 minutes ago, OK Apricot said:

I understand the idea that weight=bad, however, heavy as it is, isn't it the one time setting up on the tripod that it's weight becomes a "factor"? I've no issues with lifting weight or making appropriate transit storage in the van, so with that considered, for £300 more surely its worth getting the 6 over the 5? I'd be slightly in a dream world and lying if I said an SCT or large Mak wasn't an option in the future, which would be pushing the HEQ5. 

There's logic in what you say, but I'd recommend contacting your local astro society and seeing if you can actually handle an HEQ5 and EQ6. That'll really convey the difference, and then you can decide which is best for you. 

• Thanks 1

FWIW I set up an AZ-EQ6 with a RC8 and guide scope each time I image so it is doable. The larger mount also tracks better than the HEQ5 - whether that is by luck or design is another matter. I would not really call a 6 class mount 'portable' though.

Discussion of larger mounts for larger scopes is often overly focused on weight. A far more intractable problem is accuracy. With an eye to the future, you may want to shoot small targets like galaxies and this used to require a big scope with long focal length. It no longer does because pixels have become smaller and you can do good galaxy images with a metre or less of focal length.

But...  in order to shoot at fine pixel scales you still need a very high level of accuracy under guiding. Budget mounts, out of the box, cannot be counted on to deliver this. It's important to bear this in mind.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

FWIW I set up an AZ-EQ6 with a RC8 and guide scope each time I image so it is doable. The larger mount also tracks better than the HEQ5 - whether that is by luck or design is another matter. I would not really call a 6 class mount 'portable' though.

I too set up an AZ-EQ6 in the field in mobile astrophotography. I find it to be only marginally more trouble to carry than the EQM35, which is advertised as a mobile mount.

44 minutes ago, OK Apricot said:

If you can carry the mount to your car then its portable enough so definitely go for the better mount if you can. I carry an 8'' newtonian, guiding and imaging gear, power supply gear, AZ-EQ6 + tripod weighing in at somewhere around 50-60kg to my car every time i want to do anything with any of my kit and its totally doable. Yes its a lot of kit and i take 2 trips to bring everything from my 6th floor apartment to my car and its a struggle every time, but i dont think the HEQ5 would be significantly less trouble for what is essentially only 5 minutes of huffing puffing and grunting per trip so saving for this reason is not wise.

• Like 1

Listen to Olly he knows what he's talking about.

You can start more cheaply, why not get a small mono (guide camera ASI120mm or similar) use that initially as a main camera and use via ASI Studio (free) software so you get to know how astro photography kit works. Then get the better cameras and use the smaller mono as it was intended as a guide camera.

Initially forget about filters just get yourself comfortable with operating the basic set-up. You won't get the best images but you will learn far more quickly what is happening.  Then start evaluating add-ons...

• Like 2

@ONIKKINEN absolutely spot on with my approach to observing - everything goes in the van every time; the 200P, the Mak and all the bits and bobs. I don't think I'd struggle with what's essentially a bit more weight and an extra trip to the van and back.

@fwm891 Will definitely pay attention to Olly - comes across most knowledgeable. I won't commit to either until I've got a good picture of either side of the fence. A good idea about a lower spec camera to start. I was looking at a FOV calculator to just eye things up for that very reason - to start cheaply to get familiar with the process as a whole. 

As you doubtless have heard, the classic advice is to learn deep-sky with a telescope that demands as little attention as possible. A short-focal-length refractor is the optimum for that.

Which short-focal-length refractor is probably going to matter less than you think it does. I mean, yeah, don't just nip down to a department store and buy the first Tasco you see, but an APO or doublet ED refractor from any reputable maker will be good enough. Sadly the Stellarvue SV70t is no longer a thing. I like this AstroBackyard rundown of good scopes for beginners; if memory serves, my Stellarvue was on that list when it was first published. I don't know what the prices are now though.

Two things that really matter:

• Unless you plan to always crop to the center of the field of view, budget for a field flattener or flattener/reducer (or get a Petzval scope like some of the William Optics ones that don't need it).
  • Sort of like "deep sky is all about the mount", astrographs are all about the focuser. Some people love Crayfords, having tried both I trust rack and pinion much more at the low end. If I had to choose between an achromat with a big, solid focuser and an APO with a piece of junk on the back end...I'd go with the former.