Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new mount required what's hot and what's not?

I'm currently using Celestron 6se and had ordered a wedge for it last 6 weeks ago.

Ive just called the company and they've said that due to covid and Celestron closing down their factory (covid) production of product has a massive backlog. Some customers ordered their wedge back in November and still waiting. 

So my next option is to see about purchasing a new mount. one that will easily hold the nextstar 6SE

Thanks 

Nic

Any mount would be better than a 6SE on a wedge. I assume this is for imaging. I have seen posts from users who found that using a wedge did not meet their expectations. An EQ5 Synscan would be far more suitable. Not the easiest mount to use compared with an alt-azimuth Nexstar, but it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Not the easiest mount to use compared with an alt-azimuth Nexstar, but it works.

Dont scare him :) But I agree that moving EQ around the sky is not as intuitive as an AZ.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Assuming you want an EQ mount then an EQ5 , upwards , will suffice . The C6 is faily light ,  i use the EQ5 for my 8" CC and it still tracks superbly... maybe for future proofing go to ( no pun intended) an HEQ5 . 

was it easy to transfer onto the EQ mount?

1 hour ago, AstroMuni said:

Dont scare him :) But I agree that moving EQ around the sky is not as intuitive as an AZ.

I guess it will make me work harder having to start from scratch again learning how to use it 

surely can't be that difficult? lol 

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Any mount would be better than a 6SE on a wedge. I assume this is for imaging. I have seen posts from users who found that using a wedge did not meet their expectations. An EQ5 Synscan would be far more suitable. Not the easiest mount to use compared with an alt-azimuth Nexstar, but it works.

yeah its for imaging.  I've bought myself asi533mc pro and whilst I'm by no means fantastic at it, I'm hoping that in due course ill get better lol

31 minutes ago, Nrmh02 said:

was it easy to transfer onto the EQ mount?

Physically not a problem , the difference comes  when polar aligning , which by the way is not hard at all . The mount will follow the earths rotation and make viewing more enjoyable as you only have to concentrate on moving on one axis . Also if you do want to get into astrophotography then an EQ mount is desirable although not necessary. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Physically not a problem , the difference comes  when polar aligning , which by the way is not hard at all . The mount will follow the earths rotation and make viewing more enjoyable as you only have to concentrate on moving on one axis . Also if you do want to get into astrophotography then an EQ mount is desirable although not necessary. 

Thanks pal, now just debating with myself if I get the basic model or go for the goto model lol 

1 hour ago, Nrmh02 said:

Thanks pal, now just debating with myself if I get the basic model or go for the goto model lol 

I bought the basic one and added motors to it , a bit cheaper than the goto .. of course you need to find the targets but it tracks well .

4 hours ago, Nrmh02 said:

yeah its for imaging.  I've bought myself asi533mc pro and whilst I'm by no means fantastic at it, I'm hoping that in due course ill get better lol

If you've bought an ASI533MC Pro, then I recommend a GoTo mount, e.g a EQ5 Synscan. They have better motors plus the GoTo will save you time and you can plate-solve & re-sync (on some fields at least) to confirm your target area. Your next step will be to decide whether to image unguided, or upgrade to guiding with a guidescope and guide camera or an off-axis guider.  Who said imaging was cheap or easy?

You may also want a focal reducer for faster imaging. I got a f6.3 reducer for my C8 but I don't know if the same one works on a C6.  They cost about £150.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nrmh02 said:

now just debating with myself if I get the basic model or go for the goto model

I was using a basic mount for several years before I decided to opt for a Go-To when I decided to get into AP.

Here are the features I find useful:

- Ability to control mount sitting inside the house (out of the the cold). I still have to go out at beginning to set it up, focus etc. and late in the night to pack it up again.

- Plate solving and recentering image after every couple of images helps keep the image centred (guide scope not necessary). This corrects for any drift that may have occured after several images. I started without a guidescope and was getting ekos to realign after every 10 or so images (around 5mins) and that works with my HEQ5 pro when you are capturing just 30-60s images.

- Dithering can be automated

- Meridian flip is automatic

- You can schedule the nights tasks and let the computer manage the process.

Hope this helps you decide.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

If you've bought an ASI533MC Pro, then I recommend a GoTo mount, e.g a EQ5 Synscan. They have better motors plus the GoTo will save you time and you can plate-solve & re-sync (on some fields at least) to confirm your target area. Your next step will be to decide whether to image unguided, or upgrade to guiding with a guidescope and guide camera or an off-axis guider.  Who said imaging was cheap or easy?

You may also want a focal reducer for faster imaging. I got a f6.3 reducer for my C8 but I don't know if the same one works on a C6.  They cost about £150.

Thanks pal, I already own a f6.3r and it works really well. 

I think purchasing bit by bit will be more feasible rather than forking out loads of money in the one go. 

9 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

I was using a basic mount for several years before I decided to opt for a Go-To when I decided to get into AP.

Here are the features I find useful:

- Ability to control mount sitting inside the house (out of the the cold). I still have to go out at beginning to set it up, focus etc. and late in the night to pack it up again.

- Plate solving and recentering image after every couple of images helps keep the image centred (guide scope not necessary). This corrects for any drift that may have occured after several images. I started without a guidescope and was getting ekos to realign after every 10 or so images (around 5mins) and that works with my HEQ5 pro when you are capturing just 30-60s images.

- Dithering can be automated

- Meridian flip is automatic

- You can schedule the nights tasks and let the computer manage the process.

Hope this helps you decide.

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I'm definitely aiming at the goto mount for sure. Do you have your setup connected to wifi if controlling from inside the house? if so, does it require another add on? 

Thanks again, your reply has most definitely been helpful

Nicola 

1 minute ago, Nrmh02 said:

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I'm definitely aiming at the goto mount for sure. Do you have your setup connected to wifi if controlling from inside the house? if so, does it require another add on? 

Thanks again, your reply has most definitely been helpful

Nicola 

You have 2 options - 1) is to run cables from your laptop out to the mount and thats how I used to work in the past. The 2nd option is what I use now....I use an RPi to control everything. The RPi connects to my Wifi via a Wifi extender in my case as my router signal is not good enough to reach the RPi. I can manage the RPi via ipad or phone or laptop. All the images get downloaded onto RPi and then I download them onto laptop when I do the processing. I delete the images from RPi at that stage.

There are pros and cons of using RPi - your software choices are less wider as compared to whats available on Windows at the moment (choices on Linux are improving every day though). But if you are a Mac user then RPi is THE way to go as they are both based on Linux. If you are Windows person you could get a mini PC to do what the RPi does.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

You have 2 options - 1) is to run cables from your laptop out to the mount and thats how I used to work in the past. The 2nd option is what I use now....I use an RPi to control everything. The RPi connects to my Wifi via a Wifi extender in my case as my router signal is not good enough to reach the RPi. I can manage the RPi via ipad or phone or laptop. All the images get downloaded onto RPi and then I download them onto laptop when I do the processing. I delete the images from RPi at that stage.

There are pros and cons of using RPi - your software choices are less wider as compared to whats available on Windows at the moment (choices on Linux are improving every day though). But if you are a Mac user then RPi is THE way to go as they are both based on Linux. If you are Windows person you could get a mini PC to do what the RPi does.

strangely enough, as a Mac user I struggled previously to get any software to work effectively and ended up buying a cheap Windows - that didn't work as planned due to being unable to keep up with the demands on it. Ended up purchasing Paralelles. 

Either way I don't mind - I have an office hub out the back and run cables from there to the scope at the moment

Thanks again 

Nic

Right. Trying to image with a SE mount with a wedge is going to lead to you making rude hand gestures and shouting very bad words at the mount...

EQ is the way to go. It is what you need to do decent imaging. It moves in sync with the way the earth and sky move so you don't get star trails (streaks instead of points of light). Unfortunately there might be a backlog because of production delays. For the 6SE and frankly anything up to a 130mm refractor or 203mm SCT for imaging the Celestron Advanced VX, Skywatcher EQ5 or the Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 are excellent options. FLO currently has all three in stock so I would jump on one if you can. EQ isn't that much more difficult to use than Alt/Az. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

Alternatively if you want alt/az for visual (which is much more comfortable) and EQ for imaging then for a few quid more you can get the Skywatcher AZ-EQ5. It does both modes. I will be picking one up soon. FLO also has it in stock. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq5-gt-geq-alt-az-mount.html

The polar alignment is not difficult once you get the hang of it. It just takes a bit of practice. And the GOTO alignment is easy as well. A very nice feature of the Skywatcher line of mounts is that you can get EQMOD software for them. This makes mount control very easy. 

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/

Edited by Dr Strange
  • Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 14:44, Nrmh02 said:

I'm currently using Celestron 6se and had ordered a wedge for it last 6 weeks ago.

Ive just called the company and they've said that due to covid and Celestron closing down their factory (covid) production of product has a massive backlog. Some customers ordered their wedge back in November and still waiting. 

So my next option is to see about purchasing a new mount. one that will easily hold the nextstar 6SE

Another way of honing your imaging skills is to do Alt-Az imaging :biggrin:. And, you wouldn't need to buy a wedge! OK, imagers would say that an EQ mount is de rigueur for their craft, but you might like to dip your toe in to the craft of imaging by continuing to use your Nexstar mount. I had an 8SE mount and mounted a 100mm refractor on it, and spent many a successful hour using it to hone my imaging and processing skills. Eventually though, you will want to get an EQ mount, as indeed I did,  as there are certain limitations to Alt-Az imaging. But have a look at this loooong thread, if you haven't already :wink2:.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Just to add to the good advice you have already been given I'll add my tuppence worth.

I agree that an EQ mount is definitely the way to go for imaging. If you like visual as well then the AZ-EQ5 is a good option. I have an AZ-EQ6 which I use for AP but on the occasions I do visual I convert it to AZ mode. Particularly useful for newts. EQ set up is easy enough - don't let it worry you. Worst part is the dirty knees - which is why I got a ipolar.

On the control options, I use a Mele Quieter 2 mini PC with added storage. I have two of them on different rigs and they have been excellent. They also seem to have a reasonable wifi range.

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2022 at 21:00, Clarkey said:

Just to add to the good advice you have already been given I'll add my tuppence worth.

I agree that an EQ mount is definitely the way to go for imaging. If you like visual as well then the AZ-EQ5 is a good option. I have an AZ-EQ6 which I use for AP but on the occasions I do visual I convert it to AZ mode. Particularly useful for newts. EQ set up is easy enough - don't let it worry you. Worst part is the dirty knees - which is why I got a ipolar.

On the control options, I use a Mele Quieter 2 mini PC with added storage. I have two of them on different rigs and they have been excellent. They also seem to have a reasonable wifi range.

Thank you, I’ll definitely look into it pal.  

On 14/04/2022 at 21:00, Clarkey said:

Thanks pal. Ill go have a read of it the now.