Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrade advice please

assouptro

Hi Stargazers 

I have a question, probably one asked here often

I have a small arsenal of ccd cameras, all Atik and ranging from the tiny 314l+ to the mid range 460 and 490 and the larger 383l+ 

I currently use 1.25 astrodon filters and I also would like to stick with mono

If I was to take the plunge into the world of cmos what camera/s should I be considering? 
I would eventually like to own an imx571 chip with 2 inch filters but that’s for the future.

I have several scopes from the  Samyang 135 lens to Meade 8 and 12” f10 sct including a ts65quad and a revelation Astro Ed 100 

I have been putting this off for some time as I have got set in my ways and still enjoy the cameras I own but I am aware the efficiency of the newer Cmos chips could be a game changer 

So to summarise, ideal requirements:

mono.

no amp glow.

ideally 16 bit.

to suit 1.25 filters.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance 

Bryan

I would say to hold on for the 533 mono. Its 14 bit, similar size to the 460/490 so can still use your 1.25" filters, and no amp glow. I'm considering it myself but I do like my 460. Not sure if it's an upgrade, only newer. Atik are releasing their APX26 soon but expect it to be closer to an eye watering £3000 than its Chinese equivalents. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I would say to hold on for the 533 mono. Its 14 bit, similar size to the 460/490 so can still use your 1.25" filters, and no amp glow. I'm considering it myself but I do like my 460. Not sure if it's an upgrade, only newer. Atik are releasing their APX26 soon but expect it to be closer to an eye watering £3000 than its Chinese equivalents. 

Thanks David

I was looking at the 533 mono, (whenever it gets released) I even considered a 533 colour to compliment lum and NB from the 460 and 490 but I wondered if the pixel scale difference would cause any problems in processing? 
cheers

Bryan 

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't day that CMOS will be the game changer, you have a set of high quality ccd's that produce the goods atm, so what game have they got to change..

A good friend of mine that has various atik and now a 533 compares the 533 to his old 428.. certainly wouldn't sell his 383 or 460 unless a new CMOS was exceptional... That camera could be one with the imx571 sensor

Plenty of space on your computer ? as CMOS produce much bigger file sizes than ccd.. another friend used a gigabyte of space on his wife's work computer on 1 target... Drove her mad,so he was in the doghouse again

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Screenshot_20220521-082020_Chrome.jpg

Why is that usually colour is significantly cheaper than monochrome ?
I thought with the CFA that colour would cost more to produce (although probably not much more).
I wondered this when I got the QHY268M and is was dearer than its colour version.

Steve,