Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Backyard EOS

Is there a way to improve the resolution of the Live View feature in Backyard EOS? I've had a frustrating evening trying to find a couple of targets and the Live View is just all noise. Only the brightest stars show in the view (even those are quite faint) and I had to keep capturing an image just to get my bearings. I was trying to find M42 and my GOTO got me near but I couldn't get on target before it got too low in the sky to be worth imaging. I then tried to get on M51 with no luck either. I'm in a Bortle 7 location and wasn't expecting much but thought I could see something given that we have good clear skies tonight. 

I've just packed up and come inside without getting anything. It's been a frustrating session...

2 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Never used backyard eos , but if it supports platesolving and you can control mount via pc then I highly recommend no more star aligning or frustration , I use APT and Astap for platesolving.

Sorry to jump in on someone else's thread. Can the platesolving method be used with an EQ5 Synscan mount?

• Like 1

I use a red dot finder mounted in the camera flash hot shoe, this gets the aim reasonable onto the target area, then I use an android device connected to the canon DSLR using the USB lead with an OTG cable and the app is DSLR Controller (it may support your canon), gives me the ability to both control the camera but also get a big screen to see more stars in to fine tune both focus and what I am pointing at. Just a red dot finder in your hot shoe may be the bit to help you without more tech.

• Like 1

BYEOS supports platesolving via ASTAP + a planetarium program for providing the RA/DEC coordinates (e.g. Cartes du Ciel). This was the software combo I used myself when I had my 600D before switching to NINA then later on Kstar/Ekos when I upgraded to a cooled OSC.

• Thanks 1