SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M87 with jet

david_taurus83

Nothing spectacular to see here! This was a sort of first light with the Esprit 100. With last weeks full moon and a clear sky that I didn't want to waste, I thought I'd try something a bit different. I set up an imaging plan in Nina to take 20s subs all night and went to bed. Wanted to see if I could capture the relativistic jet coming out of M87. Below is a result of 600 x 20s Lum subs captured with an Atik 460 and 100mm f5.5 scope. 

M87.jpg

M87 anno.jpg

M87 invert.jpg

M87 zoom.jpg

M87 zoom invert.jpg

• Like 15

Great result! I think there is always something interesting  to try imaging in Lum, if the moon is killing deep LRGB  imaging. 

If you go a bit deeper and probably on a moonless night you will pick up some of the super massive  globular clusters associated with this galaxy.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wimvb said:

You made the right decision to use short exposures. Since the jet is very close to the core of M87, longer exposures will drown it in the light from the core. Last year I managed to capture it with 150 s exposures at 0 gain through a red filter (to increase contrast).

https://www.astrobin.com/7oj8y8/B/

Oh I like that! 

• Thanks 1