NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Binoculars or UHC Filter?

Hello! I was looking at an UHC filter as my next upgrade for my 70mm f/10 refractor, but at the same price I found that I could get a Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binos w/a tripod(Having weight capacity of 5kgs max). SO, having same aperture isn't consider an upgrade but the large FOV will let me see the wide nebula and star cluster BUT I could get UHC filter which will improve my views, but the FOV will be tiny, so what would you do in this situation? (Also, other upgrades are welcomed)

Thanks for reading my query!

If you do not already have a binocular then this would be the best upgrade to your viewing experience as it offers far more versatility than a UHC filter.  These filters are much better used with an aperture grater than 70mm.     🙂

• Like 1

+1 on the binoculars - However, not sure I'd recommend the Celestron Skymaster -  I bought them because they were really cheap at the time but honestly I don't actually like them and many reports of them very easily going out of collimation.  The focus seems to go out very easily as well needing constant adjustment suring the session.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davesellars said:

+1 on the binoculars - However, not sure I'd recommend the Celestron Skymaster -  I bought them because they were really cheap at the time but honestly I don't actually like them and many reports of them very easily going out of collimation.  The focus seems to go out very easily as well needing constant adjustment suring the session.

Was it first hand or second hand? I am asking because some people have a really good time with it and also thanks for all for the suggestions! Bino vote are 3, UHC are 0, I would like to see the reason for binos! (Could you please elaborate @Peter Drew?)

Starry nights :thumbright:

I agree given the choice. A UHC will work in a small scope under dark skies, but at f10 you will end up with small exit pupils and a dark image so I wouldn’t do that. Binos would be good, worth looking at www.binocularsky.com for advice.

Just now, spacegalaxy said:

Was it first hand or second hand? I am asking because some people have a really good time with it and also thanks for all for the suggestions! Bino vote are 3, UHC are 0, I would like to see the reason for binos! (Could you please elaborate @Peter Drew?)

Starry nights :thumbright:

New binoculars.  The collimation was fine in mine to start but there's lots of reports of them being received out of collimation.  Mine have been very well treated however I can tell they are very slightly out now.  The main issue though for me is the focuser is really bad...