Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Three-Night Galaxy Binge with the 20” dob...at last.

Really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Loved the bit about looking at NGC 3227 as you keyed the numbers in wrong.

I looked at Abel 1185 the other night with my 20 inch from home here north of Bristol and also found it hard.

Just to endorse what another member said, get a 5mm ish eyepiece for the very faint end and tight galaxy clusters. I can see deeper with my ES 4.7mm eyepiece than with the 10mm BCO. 

What an amazing privilege we have to view these amazing things with our own eyes.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

Glad the mob got out! My van was out of mot for a month so couldn't take the big dob out. Skies same here, seemed to be high hazy cloud, but the galaxies were still showing, so full steam ahead! I'll have to try and catch up with the mob sometime! I worked down near Galloway Forest Park a few years back and the night skies were brilliant! 

You should book the Galloway star party in November,  but be quick there's only a couple of spaces left...the Dob mob will be there..

• Like 1

On 10/03/2022 at 23:04, Whistlin Bob said:

I think it's all been said- but congratulations for an epic sequence of sessions. Fantastic report and love the pictures.

Thank you @Whistlin Bob ! I was in a terrible rut with the astronomy and other things this winter as there have been seemingly endless family issues, but last weekend made all that disappear. I'm thrilled I finally got out for a bit.

16 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Loved the bit about looking at NGC 3227 as you keyed the numbers in wrong.

I looked at Abel 1185 the other night with my 20 inch from home here north of Bristol and also found it hard.

Just to endorse what another member said, get a 5mm ish eyepiece for the very faint end and tight galaxy clusters. I can see deeper with my ES 4.7mm eyepiece than with the 10mm BCO. 

What an amazing privilege we have to view these amazing things with our own eyes.

Mark

Hi Mark @mdstuart - I meant to say thanks very much for the post on the Webb Deep-Sky Society - I was looking at their galaxy of the month posts and several of those made my list. I'll have to join the society. I admire your passion for galaxies - I'm inclined the same way, they fascinate me, even the faintest glimpse of some distant galaxy millions of light years away is something that never gets old. 👍

15 hours ago, estwing said:

You should book the Galloway star party in November,  but be quick there's only a couple of spaces left...the Dob mob will be there..

Thanks @estwing I'd love to - I'll have a look and see what's cooking. My work schedule is all over the place, but surely I can plan something that far in advance :) Cheers!

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 2

Wow, amazing report and list of objects! You must have observed more galaxies on that weekend than I have seen in 30+ years in my C8! Sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Well done!

• Like 1