Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

White light 4th march

neil phillips

Think i will get some baader imaging film rather than the visual i am using at the moment. Also might be worth trying a solar continuum filter. Just a cheap way of improving white light. 

The combined price i paid for the scope and filter. Was about £50 Surprising the quality that can be got for a cheap price.

SW Capricorn F13  Baader visual astrosolar UV IR Cut  ZWO 178MM SW EQ5 Pro

4 piece mosaic Capturing at F13

50% and 75% Of capture size

4th march sgl 50.png

4th march sgl 75.png

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00302.JPG

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 10

Just now, johnfosteruk said:

Fine images. You can't beat a Herschel wedge I say, unless your intent is to keep the setup cheap :)

Maybe one day.  Never got heavily into solar. But its surprising i haven't considering how dynamic it is. Just a passing fancy at the moment. That could change one day. Really enjoyed doing this actually. So many astounding images on this section. Out of my depth. Certainly limited equipment wise agreed. 

I do think i could improve a little with imaging film, and continuum filter. Probably not a lot. But enough to extract a bit more detail and contrast perhaps ?

Cheers John

3 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Really nice  Neil, some fine detail visible in the Penumbra and some decent Faculae near the limb.

Cheers Pete. Havent really tried solar much. But the sun is so active now. Certainly interesting. 

• Like 1

I love doing it, such a different discipline from the usual astronomy.  When decided to return to astronomy in 2009, i found the long Summer months somewhat frustrating. That all changed after buying some Baader Solar film. I like the dynamic aspect of it especially, just like the imaging Jupiter, no two days are the same. Apart from during the "Solar Minimum", which was pretty uninspiring to say the least 🙂 

If the conditions allow i would use a Barlow for some close ups of those spot regions. 

As for a Solar continuum filter a green No64 or 58, is a very cheap alternative and almost as good in my opinion.

Edited by Pete Presland

8 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

I love doing it, such a different discipline from the usual astronomy.  When decided to return to astronomy in 2009, i found the long Summer months somewhat frustrating. That all changed after buying some Baader Solar film. I like the dynamic aspect of it especially, just like the imaging Jupiter, no two days are the same. Apart from during the "Solar Minimum", which was pretty uninspiring to say the least 🙂 

If the conditions allow i would use a Barlow for some close ups of those spot regions. 

As for a Solar continuum filter a dark green No64, is a very cheap alternative and almost as good in my opinion.

Agreed on the dynamic aspect. Especially now its so active. I dabbled in the summer but wasn't very active then. That's interesting Pete. about the no 64. Makes sense being a green Filter. 

will think about that. Forgot to try my 495longpass. It wont affect contrast. But it does sharpen the image a bit more. Being a Achromat. Has anyone tried a UV Filter. or Violet ? 

was looking at the CAK baader expensive though. 

Edited by neil phillips

A continuum is the way to go. It will sort out any remaining ca and improve contrast. 

If you get serious I'd recommend a wedge. The image quality is better, and it's safer.

That's a great image anyway, especially with such modest equipment.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

A continuum is the way to go. It will sort out any remaining ca and improve contrast. 

If you get serious I'd recommend a wedge. The image quality is better, and it's safer.

That's a great image anyway, especially with such modest equipment.

Cheers for the feedback Michael. Will think about all the recommendations 

And thanks for the comments on the capture

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Nicely captured and processed at your high standards Neil!

Kostas

Cheers Kon. wondering about using the 5" Refractor with better film and a continuum filter perhaps ? Now with the sun so active. plenty to capture maybe

• Like 1