Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What would seem like perfect ( rant )

Coco

Turns out to be a nightmare in Preston Lancashire for 2 reasons.

1. Moon

2. every Trans Atlantic flight decides this time is a good time to fly leaving my sky full of Moon lit vapour trails everywhere.

Unbelievable !!

Have to get up early so cant wait for the captains to clear off !

Guy

Hi, same here in Walsall, I'm right on the north turning point for B-Ham airport. Plus add in loads of street lights and a neighbours 30 foot tall conifers directly in my southern view. Must get the chain saw out one dark night.

Hi, same here in Walsall, I'm right on the north turning point for B-Ham airport. Plus add in loads of street lights and a neighbours 30 foot tall conifers directly in my southern view. Must get the chain saw out one dark night.

Gutted for you mate....:)

I also live in Walsall and have to put up with some stupid great big searchlight that comes from the town centre and constantly sweeps across sky where I live, this has only started over the last few months and is a real pain as it is mostly on during the weekend when I tend to have the scope out.:)

Complain to your local council.

Right to the local news paper.

Above all tell them its a shocking waist of energy as well!! :)

Don't give in...

Keep us all posted...

My back garden isn't exactly perfect for observing as it slopes downhill with limited places flat enough to put a scope on, and the view to the south is blocked by houses, but compared to your problems it doesn't seem so bad. At least I can't see any street lights from there.

The only real problem is a neighbour that has a 500 watt floodlight bolted flat to the side of his house, and when it comes on it lights up the whole neighbourhood. Of course he's an idiot that won't speak to any of his neighbours, fortunately all the other neighbours are quite considerate.

John

As soon as I can find out exactly where the stupid searchlight is coming from I intend to complain to the council.

I would have thought that you need planning permission to shine a powerful searchlight up into the sky at night especially as it's near one of the flightpaths for Birmingham airport.

I notice around now that the number of jets over in the night increases - maybe due to early spring Hols.

From Boating around the middle lands of UK along the thousands of miles of canal, we visit many flight paths and often it takes many nights to get across that of one large airport in various directions - sampling the noise/pollution as we go.

Given this Brum (runway ends Minworth and Hatton) ain't bad as they stop most flying after 10 until the first alarm over at 6am.

On the other hand London is many directions all the time and Manchester seems to get up early and bed late with them off and heading all ways out (though in is more over the White Peak. Meanwhile East Midlands send them off straight in the day but at night its a few every hour ever way. As for Landing at East Midlands - never live near Kegworth - some the jets make three run a day and are low enough fot the numbers to be read off them going over

However on vapour trails - from observation a lot of the stuff up there is not local being Europe to/from the world overflies on climb and descent so causing loads of parallel trails. A lot of these we notice must be there night on night but at slightly different times as we move under them on the canals.

For these and other vapour trails anywhere near the centre of UK (Stoke, Brum line) seems the worst while out west is mostly better (Apart from jets bound for Ireland and western Europe as in Spain, Portugal and the various Island holiday resorts - many of which are night flights.)

All this lot can get in the way of our obsession but...On the other hand as the sun rises and sets and there are few real clouds if you are under the flyways you get right up in the blue a dozen moving silver blips like satallites up there glinting in the sun and behind some will trail some very photogenic con trails as shown in Billy's wonderful photo.

:)

Thanks for the comments on the pics of the contrails. Thats possibly not the best one... got another 200+ to look through when I get home...

Anyway I am taking a few days off work so that I can spend all night cursing the jets that are polluting my FOV...

There was one absolutley "stunning" contrail today (out of the pic) that had formed an almost perfect double helix structure... unfortunately the camera was static as it was takign a shot every 20s for a timelapse movie...

Billy...

Who do we write to to complain about the clouds? I've spent two weeks now staring at them oop north in Manchester and feel the need to complain! I'm sure my telescope came with a guarentee to be able to see stars of 10th magnitude. And the planes seem to choose my house to right towards Manchester Airport.

Archived