Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus 23rd feb

neil phillips

Shooting through a jetstream. At 8:05 AM with a UG1 And BG39 Homemade filter Stack Orion 10 Newt ZWO 178MM Camera EQ5 PRO 

Not easy, gain very high tons of noise. But very large stacks has shown some subtle UV Markings. Hoping in time to do better. But venus is low this year it wont be easy. Second slightly more blacks. Cant go too far with this as phase decreases too much. last shot 75% to control noise Celestron Omni 2x barlow screwed straight in for around 1.5 x 

orion uv 23rd feb.tif more black.png

orion uv 23rd feb.tif more black.tif more.png

orion uv 23rd feb.tif more black.tif more.png 50.png 75.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, Kon said:

Great result and some clouds are coming through. I tried this morning but I gave up since the seeing was awful.

Agreed its not easy out there generally with venus quite low this year. But when there is a jet stream. its Even worse. Out of the W47+BG 39

UG1+BG39

The UG1 Was the filter stack that picked up subtle cloud. Kind of expected that. As UG1 Is one half of a schuler Venus filter. Cost me £ 23 both stacks Ali X 

• Like 1

What a great effort Neil you are definitely inching your way to success in picking up subtle cloud detail. The second image is a little bit sharper especially on the limb area probably due to the black increase just the right amount I'd say. I can also definately see a very subtle shaded area. That looks like a very well spent £23 to me.

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

What a great effort Neil you are definitely inching your way to success in picking up subtle cloud detail. The second image is a little bit sharper especially on the limb area probably due to the black increase just the right amount I'd say. I can also definately see a very subtle shaded area. That looks like a very well spent £23 to me.

You know me Martyn. I work at things. its good to image in less than ideal situations. When seeing improves the previous practice attempts help get things right when it matters. So much time on my hands. I don't mind less than ideal situations. As you say going in the right direction. Hoping the new Filter is a slight improvement when it comes.                 

Good to see your work through with your tests.

I had my best results , albeit with better elevation with the RC scope.

My plan was to make up a mirror only system with a 10" mirror I have that sadly is still in its box.

2 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Good to see your work through with your tests.

I had my best results , albeit with better elevation with the RC scope.

My plan was to make up a mirror only system with a 10" mirror I have that sadly is still in its box.

Been talking with Christopher Pellier. He recommends Using a ADC. So will have to run some test to find the ADC lever positions soon. A 10" cassegrain would be best, no barlow needed. Or uncoated fused silica barlow. AR protect window blocks a little UV. As dose the zwo ADC so a trade off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Presland said:

Interesting article Neil, here on ADC usage when imaging Venus.

ADC v no ADC on Venus UV imaging | British Astronomical Association (britastro.org)

Interesting article agreed. Even at 40 degrees the benefit is clear. Wonder what ADC Model he used. The ZWO ADC will cut some UV Transmission. But the benefit may outweigh the problem. what with a Barlow and AR Protect window both blocking UV to some degree. Its all a trade off. But i am not removing the camera protect window. The filter i am getting is slightly more suited to all these problems apparently. I could have got the equivalent of the Astrodon Venus filter. But was advised the Johnson bessel U photometrics transmission is more suited to these UV Blocking issues