Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FEB 7TH - BIG PROM LOOKS MORE UNSTABLE, OBSERVE IF YOU CAN.

paulastro

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Paul!

Grrrrr cloudy!

PST Mod fixed enough to try it, hopefully will get some gaps.

Hope  you get some clear skies Stu, and the PST works OK.  Don't  take any notice of the forecast - forecast cloud all day here, but its been mostly clear since 9.30 and still is!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Hope  you get some clear skies Stu, and the PST works OK.  Don't  take any notice of the forecast - forecast cloud all day here, but its been mostly clear since 9.30 and still is!

Thanks Paul. I’m stuck under this at the moment… think you might have showers coming your way.

D3D63DF5-C132-44EF-8203-ACFA1791FE63.jpeg

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

Thanks for the heads up on this. Just managed a quick look between showers in a Lunt 50 with 7.5mm Tak LE. Here's my quick sketch :) Interesting to see it changing shape over the observations.

16442368241246873740134102603580.thumb.jpg.5075f6f70ab0e204fc7679dfcb0552af.jpg

Great sketch, weird seeing it upside down from my PST view 😄.

Wow is all I can say.

Biggest result is that my PST Mod has clearly survived its accident over the weekend and is performing just as well as before 👍👍.

Conditions aren’t great, patchy cloud blowing through and seeing quite wobbly, but in the good spells it is amazing!

I tried the Leica Zoom to start, just to check things out, but then went for the Binoviewers with 40mm plossls which, with the x2 barlow gives at least x50 but probably a whole lot more due to the path length of the binoviewers.

I took a few images hand held, not very good but give some flavour of the image scale. Detail was much better visually. I tried a cack handed attempted at processing but I’m sure I can do better. Reducing the background brightness has killed some of the detail in the prominence trail.

Really amazing structure, seeing that arcing tail off the main prom.

498A8924-FB31-43F6-89D6-A063E7406049.jpeg

41BBFFB4-AE65-4BD5-994B-BE0A3C0386F0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks Paul. I’m stuck under this at the moment… think you might have showers coming your way.

D3D63DF5-C132-44EF-8203-ACFA1791FE63.jpeg

You were correct Stu, almost as soon as I had made my last post, it clouded over.  Now wall to wall cloud and drizzle.

A few minutes ago I managed what will probably be my last observation today, through murk before it deteriorated completely.

The shape of the prom has changed since  my last obs, to me it now looks like a coal brazier on the limb of the sun 🙂.

I wonder if it will still be there tomorrow?

20220207_143354.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Wow is all I can say.

Biggest result is that my PST Mod has clearly survived it’s accident over the weekend and is performing just as well as before 👍👍.

Conditions aren’t great, patchy cloud blowing through and seeing quite wobbly, but in the good spells it is amazing!

I tried the Leica Zoom to start, just to check things out, but then went for the Binoviewers with 40mm plossls which, with the x2 barlow gives at least x50 but probably a whole lot more due to the path length of the binoviewers.

I took a few images hand held, not very good but give some flavour of the image scale. Detail was much better visually. I tried a back handed attempted at processing but I’m sure I can do better. Reducing the background brightness has killed some of the detail in the prominence trail.

Only just seen this Stu, fabulous pics, I'm so pleased your PST survived your mishap to deliver such great images. 👍🥳💥

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, paulastro said:

You were correct Stu, almost as soon as I had made my last post, it clouded over.  Now wall to wall cloud and drizzle.

A few minutes ago I managed what will probably be my last observation today, through murk before it deteriorated completely.

The shape of the prom has changed since  my last obs, to me it now looks like a coal brazier on the limb of the sun 🙂.

I wonder if it will still be there tomorrow?

20220207_143354.jpg

My guess is that the main body will still be there tomorrow, but the plasma trail will be thinned out significantly. But who knows? Weather not looking great though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Wow is all I can say.

Biggest result is that my PST Mod has clearly survived it’s accident over the weekend and is performing just as well as before 👍👍.

I took a few images hand held, not very good but give some flavour of the image scale. Detail was much better visually. I tried a back handed attempted at processing but I’m sure I can do better. Reducing the background brightness has killed some of the detail in the prominence trail.

Brilliant photos Stu. I am so glad that the scope survived and is good as ever.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Those are great photos @Stu. I tried with the Smartphone holder you pointed me towards but by the time I had it all centered and ready to shoot the clouds had appeared and the next shower was starting!

Sorry to hear that Malc. I must admit that I’m an observer first and smartphone imager second, so I often find myself just handholding the phone over the eyepiece, especially when conditions are a bit flakey. I used my similar mount the other day and it did work well, it clamps and centres the eyepiece easily but I guess it’s the aligning of the phone in the mount which is the challenge? Most of them have the same problem, but the Celestron NeXYZ is easier in this respect. That said, I don’t like it as much because of the weight and the fact it does droop a bit with respect to the eyepiece making uniform focus difficult.

Stick with it and hopefully you will get there with it 👍

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Stick with it and hopefully you will get there with it 👍

I fear I may have misaligned the smartphone adapter :)

The problem today was trying to persuade my phone to use the correct exposure settings to bring out the prom! That coupled with dashing indoors trying to find the adaptor and the pressure of the approaching rain clouds :)

Malcolm

• Like 1

Despite all the incredible solar pics posted by imagers these days, there’s something about Stu’s quick grabs and Ibbo’s short video in this thread that really captures the excitement of observing solar features like the current prom live. Thanks both for posting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1