SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

FEB 6TH - VERY LARGE PROM ON NW LIMB , LOOK NOW IF YOU CAN

paulastro

• paulastro changed the title to FEB 6TH - VERY LARGE PROM ON NW LIMB , LOOK NOW IF YOU CAN
1 hour ago, paulastro said:

I'm hoping for another look Stu, PST ready to go if it clears, 100% cloud and raining hard now, but you never know.

Fingers crossed. Might be a gap for me later but I suspect I would only try a smash and grab white light with the 76mm, rather than risk the PST mod on a bigger mount. Standard PSTs have their advantages! Perhaps I should fit mine to a smaller scope???

E9900DCB-8ACE-4FE6-8C86-C6A3C5B61187.jpeg

• Like 1

10.30 just come on after a few clear gaps, detail on big prom fantastic, far better than GONG image and my frantic sketch in high winds, below. Must have been in and out half a dozen times to avoid rain being swept in on the wind.

Lots of great detail,  plage and AAs.  Would make a fabulous pic if any images can get a clear spell.

20220206_102017.thumb.jpg.f0fdc399d3dbea4e82d938e4221e3c21.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, paulastro said:

10.30 just come on after a few clear gaps, detail on big prom fantastic, far better than GONG image and my frantic sketch in high winds, below. Must have been in and out half a dozen times to avoid rain being swept in on the wind.

Lots of great detail,  plage and AAs.  Would make a fabulous pic if any images can get a clear spell.

20220206_102017.thumb.jpg.f0fdc399d3dbea4e82d938e4221e3c21.jpg

Great stuff. Hmm, could be tempted to put the PST mod out under a cover!

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great stuff. Hmm, could be tempted to put the PST mod out under a cover!

It's worth it Stu, if the wind isn't strong enough to believe it over.  I would have done this myself usually, but the wind is gusting strongly here. I also put a big plastic clip on the cover so it doesn't blow off, and to protect it from bird poo 😊.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Fingers crossed. Might be a gap for me later but I suspect I would only try a smash and grab white light with the 76mm, rather than risk the PST mod on a bigger mount. Standard PSTs have their advantages! Perhaps I should fit mine to a smaller scope???

I what's the name of the app you used for the satellite pic Stu?

1 minute ago, paulastro said:

It’s Sat24 Paul, I use it more than anything else to judge whether it will be clear or not. You can see the direction the cloud is moving in, and it’s also handy to see whether any showers are heading your way. This is the app, or you can just access the website directly at www.Sat24.com

9EFEA8A3-B1DF-448F-96D5-FA46EC0FADDF.png

1 minute ago, Stu said:

It’s Sat24 Paul, I use it more than anything else to judge whether it will be clear or not. You can see the direction the cloud is moving in, and it’s also handy to see whether any showers are heading your way. This is the app, or you can just access the website directly at www.Sat24.com

9EFEA8A3-B1DF-448F-96D5-FA46EC0FADDF.png

Many thanks Stu, I'll download it. 😊.

At last the Sun is now shining even though its still windy. I set up the PST+DS and yes the Prom is impressive. I did have a quick look yesterday and I could see that this Prom was starting to look good. There is quite a lot of Plage around the Sunspots plus a few small filaments.

Switched to the SvBony frac and viewed in white light - really good sunspots.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

I managed a quick view through clouds. Not great and now it is pouring with rain😒 I managed a few snaps in white light but not worth to stack them since the clouds are coming through. A single snapshot at prime focus.

image.thumb.png.073fe8aa465045bc31f589950ef79e52.png

• Like 1

Just had another brief view through the PST and did a quick sketch of the prom -added to my previous sketch.  Still worth a look if you can, though the sun is getting low.  

20220206_145959.thumb.jpg.936e1c09788754407c2cafb95cacbe9f.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 5

No luck here, and had a bit of a disaster. The scope blew over (with its cover on which probably caught the wind). I didn’t think it was strong enough and the tripod was well dug in.

Anyway, the scope objective looks ok, it took a hit on the PST back end and bent the front tube and the eyepiece holder. The front tube has gone back into place, and I’m sure I can sort the eyepiece holder out. The big question is if it’s caused separation in the etalon but I won’t know that until the sun comes out again.

Annoyed with myself but lesson learned.

0DC970B5-0E3F-4604-BF2D-D32030D67F74.jpeg

B22774B6-9CA5-47C1-858C-3C5AF15ABB93.jpeg

AA3D327E-9695-4573-913C-F5A7FDCB4505.jpeg

• Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

That is a shame Stu really annoying. Do you think it will be safe to use if there was some internal damage. Can you check by using a camera first.

Thanks Mark. I can easily check that the ERF is ok. From looking down the scope it seems fine but I will take it out to check. I think if the etalon is duff the all that will happen is that I won’t see any detail, the ERF plus blocking filter should make it safe. Fingers crossed! 🤞 

16 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Sorry to hear that Stu. If there is damage to the etalon, it will be fixable - but will keep fingers crossed that it’s ok.

Thanks Mark. I thought if the etalon had separated then it was junk? Hopefully all will be well though, we will see.

I’ve managed to get everything straightened out, and if I get some sun today will give it a try.

Lesson learned. Don’t leave the scope out under a cover if it’s at all windy! Oh, and don’t place it where it can topple from the grass onto the patio 😱😱. Had it been three feet further onto the garden it would have been fine.

CF059A66-2CE4-416F-9817-6E505C7BAE3B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

PM me if it’s damaged Stu and I can put you in touch with someone who’ll know what to do. Otherwise, you can have the etalon reconnected professionally for around £250 - Beloptik in Germany do it.

Brilliant! Thanks very much 👍