Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ-6R vs AZEQ-6

hobbit

Well after months of research I had just signed on to the telescope shops website all ready to order an EQ-6R. But then skywatcher had to go and offer a free evostar 72 with every AZEQ-6 purchased. Is there much difference between the two mounts other than the ability use in AZ mode? is it worth spending the extra $400?

If you plan on doing any visual whatsoever then I'd get the AZ-EQ6, in fact that's exactly what I did. As it happens I bought mine as there were no EQ-6Rs available at the time but I am very glad of that now.

Edited by scotty38

The AZEQ6 has encoders on both axis, so you can loosen the clutches and manually move the scope around and have SynScan be aware of those movements. Not sure how useful this is to be honest but the feature is there.

Compared to the EQ6R the altitude adjustment system is better, at least that's what i gather from reading user experiences. In the EQ6 you have this weird springloaded ratchet system looking bolt that many think is a pain to use and some have even stripped theirs and needed replacements, in the AZEQ6 the altitude adjustment system is completely different, and in my opinion quite smooth and easy to adjust.

The AZEQ6 is also a tiny bit lighter, but that's about it. The main selling point in here would probably be the ability to use the mount in alt-az mode as well as eq mode. You can also mount a second scope in alt-az mode if you want to. So if you do enough visual to justify the price you may find the AZEQ6 better for your needs.

As above.

The altitude adjustment system is much better with the AZEQ6, and encoders are good. I think if you are used to an EQ mount you are unlikely to ever use it in AZ mode. If you wanted that small refractor then go for the AZEQ6. If you don’t actually want it, and £400 is a lot of extra money, go for the cheaper option.

But the AZEQ6 is lovely. Though if they are itching to get rid of them, one has to ask why? Is something new coming to replace it?

James

• Like 1

James makes a valid point here re: why are they trying to get rid of them.

I get the impression that they simply aren't as popular as their sibling EQ6R. When I got my AZ EQ6 (I think it was a couple of years back during the lockdown) the EQ6R was sold out everywhere but the AZ was more or less readily available.

I might be wrong though but just an observation at the time :)

I'm on my second AZEQ6! Though if the EQ6R was available back in August I would have probably bought that as I have a pier mounted setup so only need to polar align once a year lol. As mentioned, the latitude adjustment on the AZ is very good, but the bolt is also its worst point simply because it sticks out like a sore thumb so you need to loop cables carefully. I got caught out once before with it!

On 03/02/2022 at 01:51, ONIKKINEN said:

Compared to the EQ6R the altitude adjustment system is better

By a mile. I have an AZ-EQ6, and a friend has an EQ6-R. They both sit on their pier less than 2 m apart. The AZ-EQ6 is some 3-4 years older and it guides with maybe 0.1" rms more. I find the altitude adjustment of the EQ6-R hopeless. Otoh, the altitude adjustment of the AZ-EQ6 is very close to the scope tube (190MN). I chose the AZ-EQ6 at the time because of its altitude adjustment. At 60 degrees north, I didn't want to exchange bent bolts every other month. And btw, I've never used my mount in Alt-AZ mode, and I have the encoders deactivated.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. considering i have an orion 50mm guidescope (which is pretty much all i'd use the evostar for, i think i'll stick with my original plans of the eq-6r and use the savings to go towards an asiair.