Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two consecutive nights of clear skies!

Nicola Fletcher

Like others who have written great reports from last night and the night of the 4th, I also had absolutely fantastic skies for two nights which got 2022 off to a great start.

I observe in my back garden, with Bortle 4 skies and LP only observable to the north, towards Dublin. On both nights, I used my Starwave 102 ED-R mounted on a SW AZ-EQ5 and used the opportunity to try out my Christmas present, a 24mm Panoptic, which I used almost exclusively, with just a few targets observed with a Baader MKIV 8-24mm Zoom. There were a few intermittent clouds on the night of 4th, but last night the sky was crystal clear, with very good to excellent seeing. I find transparency more difficult to evaluate, as I always have light pollution towards Ursa Minor, but the Zenith was particularly good last night with more stars visible than I have seen in a long time.

On 4th, I started at 6pm, with Auriga my first target. I have never tried to observe the North America Nebula (NGC7000) before, but Deneb was ideally placed from my observing site. I couldn't see any evidence of the nebula and spent some time panning around with the Panoptic, but no luck. I know this can be a challenging target, and I didn't use a filter - perhaps this would have helped. I next moved on to M1 - another first for me. The Crab Nebula was quite dim, but very obvious, and spending a bit of time observing it I could see more of the extent of the nebulosity. I next moved to M42 as the sky was clearer to the south east, and spent some time observing M42, M43 and NGC1981, which never fail to impress. M35 (open cluster in Gemini) was yet another first and I spent a long time looking at the jewel-like cluster which I think suited the Panoptic very well. I finished up with M81 and M82 (Bode's twin galaxies) which, despite the small size of my telescope, are two of my favourite targets and I love teasing out the differences in shape between these two galaxies. Given the extremely cold conditions, especially when the wind picked up, I finished up at 9.30pm.

The night of 5th was even better - I did not expect that after the great evening's observing the previous night, given the terrible weather we have had since December. No clouds at all, excellent seeing and it didn't feel quite as cold as the previous night. I kicked off at 5pm, viewing the moon through 10 x 50 Olympus binoculars, and then through the Starwave. According to Clear Outside, the moon was at 12% and it was a really great sight through both the binoculars and scope. Given the improved weather, I next had another try at NGC7000, and I thought I could see faint hints of nebulosity, but honestly that could have been my imagination! My next targets were M31 and M32 - both galaxies were very obvious through the Panoptic and the bright core and extent of the Andromeda galaxy became more obvious the longer I observed it. I then moved to M33 - the Triangulum galaxy. Obviously, through a 4", few details were visible but it was a pleasing sight and one I have not seen before. NGC869 and 844, the double cluster in Perseus, was the highlight of the evening for me - perfection through the Panoptic and it was difficult to drag myself away. I next moved to the Pleiades (M43), and spent a long time looking at this open cluster, where I could see obvious nebulosity around several stars including Merope - I have not seen nebulosity that clearly before. I next moved to M36, a small but beautiful open cluster - I think M37 and 38 didn't fit in the field of view of the Panoptic but I moved on as both myself and my kit were starting to freeze! I finished that perfect evening with M42, which was even more beautiful than usual and I could have spent much longer observing it.

I was so glad I had taken the time to put together observing lists - I saw several objects for the first time and really made the most of both evenings. I have been terrible until now for setting up, observing a few targets over and over again, and then running inside when the nights got too cold. Last night in particular was, I think, one of the best observing nights I have ever had and I can heartily recommend the 24mm Panoptic which I am very grateful to SGL members for recommending!

Edited by Nicola Fletcher
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

That's a great report, Nicola. An impressive bag of targets, and some nice new finds.

While some are very happy just scanning the skies speculatively, I do agree that a decent plan of action enhances an evening. And if you live in maritime Europe rather than Arizona, you need to make the most of every minute.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

And if you live in maritime Europe rather than Arizona, you need to make the most of every minute.

I completely agree - often when I look out at the clouds and mist, I think of that telling section in TLAO when discussing the Whirlpool Galaxy that was discovered by Lord Rosse - something about Ireland not having the most ideal weather for stargazing! A good night makes it all worth it though.

Thank you for your kind comments too, which are very much appreciated!

• Like 1

Fantastic report @Nicola Fletcher. Some really nice targets in there.

NGC7000, the NAN needs good transparency, a dark sky and likely an OIII filter to see well. I’ve seen it in filtered binoculars from my Bortle 4 skies, so it’s well worth looking into a filter at some point soon.

M36 and M37 are actually smaller than M38 should you should certainly be able to see them easily in the 24mm. In fact, a bit more power may help.

Let’s hope we get some more clear skies soon, thanks for the report 👍

• Like 1

Very nice to read Nicola, thanks. The seeing was good wasn't it! 4th was good for me too obviously, but last night, 5th, was looking promising until late afternoon when it totally clouded over. I can't wait to bring my 105 f/6.2 refractor over from the UK for the same really wide views!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot @Stu, that’s really helpful. I’ll look into getting a filter - luckily Santa also brought me a FLO voucher so that’ll be spent soon! I’ll try a bit more magnification on M36, 37 and 38 next time - I didn’t really spend enough time trying to see them properly. Really appreciate your advice!

Shame about the clouds @Captain Magenta - with luck we will have more clear nights soon. That 105mm LZOS sounds fantastic, and West Cork will have just the skies for it!

A great read @Nicola Fletcher - always love reading observations of the same objects on the same night that I’ve seen them, gives some good peer-reassurance on one's own notes!  
Seeing the nebulosity around the Pleiades is a great observation - I will have to look harder for that on future transparent nights. 

Glad you had a good night for new targets too! 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 1

Lovely and uplifting report, Nicola, your enthusiasm is infectious!😊.

I too have Bortle 4 skies and the last 3 nights -yes, Three nights!! - have been clear. Sadly I've not yet got out due to having had chest infection/flu like symptoms over Christmas and New Year, but I'm on the mend now and very much hope to be outside in the next week or less, weather permitting..

In the meantime, reports such as yours are very motivational, so thank you!

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Lovely and uplifting report, Nicola, your enthusiasm is infectious!😊.

I too have Bortle 4 skies and the last 3 nights -yes, Three nights!! - have been clear. Sadly I've not yet got out due to having had chest infection/flu like symptoms over Christmas and New Year, but I'm on the mend now and very much hope to be outside in the next week or less, weather permitting..

In the meantime, reports such as yours are very motivational, so thank you!

Dave

Thank you so much Dave - I read about your enforced confinement on your other post, so I'm really glad you are on the mend and hope yourself and Trinity have some clear nights in January!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SuburbanMak said:

Seeing the nebulosity around the Pleiades is a great observation

I was absolutely chuffed to see it - I think it was just the exceptionally clear conditions as I almost always observe from the same site and have never seen anything like that before!

Now that the clouds have settled in for another few days, I'm going to finish some sketches I started at the telescope (My new year's resolution - I'll post anything presentable although I don't hold out much hope :))

• Like 5