Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone used a Sky-Watcher AZ GTi

People are pushing it to do astrophotography, but it wasnt designed to do it and it struggles.

Its a neat mount for the price, but the factory QC seems a bit lacking. Most need adjusting and many need stripping down first.

It  took three before I got one that worked properly.

3 hours ago, GoldTop57 said:

After upgrading to firmware version 3.36 (EQ mode) I found this to be a great little grab and go astrophotography rig. Check out the owners thread: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/387014-skywatcher-az-gti-mount-owners-thread/

Thanks for the reply!

Is it possible to take decent photos of planets when in alt/AZ?

This is a great little mount for astrophotography I find, yes it can't compete with the big boys in the dedicated eq mounts but really pushes the boundaries for astrophotography, even though it isn't specifically designed to do it. If quick portability is what you require the az gti is a great mount. I can guide with my zwo asi120mc-s guidescope and asiair pro well between 0.8-2 on good nights and well happy with this from the az gti. 

The mak will perform well on the planets and lunar imaging in alt az mode, a 127 would be better for this. But but nothing wrong with the 102 atall. Some double stars are good fun to image as I did in the past with my old 127.

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dakuwaqa said:

Thanks for the reply!

Is it possible to take decent photos of planets when in alt/AZ?

Planetary imaging is straightforward with this mount. The best approach is to capture a video stream and use Autostakkert to process the file to select and stack the best images.

The fact that it's an AltAz mount is not a problem. 

• Like 2

Happy with mine. Very versatile and with  an wedge, I think it's clearly ahead of the similarly priced star adventurer.

There are a plenty of reports of QC issues, although if you're buying new, there should be no issue with returns. If you buy 2nd hand, be prepared to follow (relatively easy) tuning guides.

In terms of performance mine guides between 1" and 2" RMS, although I hope to improve this by further tuning of the DEC axis.  I consider this more than good enough for a portable mount given the focal lengths I'm using. 

And then when I need it, it's a portable alt-az mount.

• Like 1

Hi , there is a dedicated thread on SGL which might help you , concerning the AZ-GTi 

I've had a couple or three of these mounts and they are generally sound . Look,  if you are seriously into astrophotography and plan on trying to get images that will eventually get you an APOD , then look elsewhere ... but for simple photos and , in my opinion perfectly acceptable quality its a fine mount . There is also another thread on SGL which i think is called "Non EQ Challenge " where people take photos on alt-az mounts , most of which are stunning images and actually put pay to the , shall we say , rather snobby view that you need to spend thousands of pounds on equipment to gain acceptable results where photography is concerned . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 13:00, Stu1smartcookie said:

rather snobby view that you need to spend thousands of pounds on equipment to gain acceptable results where photography is concerned .

I don't think this is really true. I am in the 'spending too much on AP group' - but this is because I want good images at a longer focal length. The only way to get this is with a bigger and more expensive mount. I have no issue with small portable outfits - in fact when I am lugging my stuff about I sometimes wish it was in the 'portable' category. It is not snobbery - just necessity in many cases.

• Like 1