SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus in IR and UV from the 10.12.2021

Pete Presland

Venus has been blazing away on the horizon for months now, i finally managed to be in the "bottom of the garden, between the trees window" at the correct time of the day with clear skies 🙂 

Venus looked pretty good with the 807 filter to settle the atmosphere (1st image), Pretty grim with the UV filter though.

A nicely formed crescent in IR, but very difficult to get and sort of end result with the UV filter. Pleased to get anything, it took a lot of different methods to finally arrive at an image that looked anything like a planet . 

C9.25, asi290mm.

919188537_2021_12_1015.08807filter.png.e46f8a3845a07af8db8bd888ce81c79b.png

56877309_2021_12_1015.02UVfilter.png.699c9a0d5ecf8372f4543ca681d3aa9c.png

• Like 6

Can see the seeing fighting abillity of the IR Pete. Nice shape and texture being this low. I think the morning showing maybe better for us. Reason being if you get on venus before its too bright. as it keeps rising seeing often improves. though this is countered by increasing daylight. Still often a sweet spot occurs between calm air. And contrast not too washed out. Found in the past i got my best UV images under those conditions. I am getting together a cheap Venus filter system. W47 violet. and from Ali express A bg39 IR only block. for the w47 IR leak. Not as good as a dedicated UV but £30 i have also tried to get  a UG1 UV filter again china £2.50 combined with the BG39 will effectively be a schuler UV filter. hope it actually  Arrives. it may or may not. But i dont think we will have a long window of time on venus. this time around otherwise i may have got a dedicated UV again like you. 

Excellent IR there Pete great shot

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

Neil, I tried a similar combination ( W47+BG39 ZWB1) in the afternoon - early evening last year (or maybe the year before) with my IMX290 mono camera and my CPC 800, but couldn't get anything. The stack absorbed so much light that I had to increase considerably the exposition time and, thus, the resulting video file had ridiculous FPS values, totally uncapable to fight the crazy seeing via lucky imaging. Finally, I ordered a FGUVM filer from Thor Labs which I didn't get in time to try before the planet got too close to the Sun... 

Regards,

NV

Edited by NenoVento
a filter name error, sorry

16 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Venus has been blazing away on the horizon for months now, i finally managed to be in the "bottom of the garden, between the trees window" at the correct time of the day with clear skies 🙂 

Venus looked pretty good with the 807 filter to settle the atmosphere (1st image), Pretty grim with the UV filter though.

A nicely formed crescent in IR, but very difficult to get and sort of end result with the UV filter. Pleased to get anything, it took a lot of different methods to finally arrive at an image that looked anything like a planet . 

C9.25, asi290mm.

919188537_2021_12_1015.08807filter.png.e46f8a3845a07af8db8bd888ce81c79b.png

56877309_2021_12_1015.02UVfilter.png.699c9a0d5ecf8372f4543ca681d3aa9c.png

Nice image Pete. I've had similar problems finding an optical window between trees and over buildings. I will be interested as well to see the results of the various filter combination. Trevor 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NenoVento said:

Neil, I tried a similar combination ( W47+BG39) in the afternoon - early evening last year (or maybe the year before) with my IMX290 mono camera and my CPC 800, but couldn't get anything. The stack absorbed so much light that I had to increase considerably the exposition time and, thus, the resulting video file had ridiculous FPS values, totally uncapable to fight the crazy seeing via lucky imaging. Finally, I ordered a FGUVM filer from Thor Labs which I didn't get in time to try before the planet got too close to the Sun... 

Regards,

NV

Cheers for the info. I might be using a 10" scope so fps will be higher. Ive had good results with Schuler uv. which also has low transmission. The real problem with w47 and BG39 is low contrast in UV. So i may or may not pick something up. But only paid a low price for the filter stack. So worth trying maybe. Ive seen reasonable results with the combo. 

• Like 1