NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meteor shower

Dave scutt

Did anyone get to see the meteor shower last night.  I woke up at 3am to clear skies went to get the dob out of the shed but it hasn't cooled down and the secondary mirror was foged up and I didn't want to wake the wife and boys up by using the hair dryer on it.

So I found myself just standing their looking up at the sky watching one after another shooting stars just amazing the high light was seeing 3 at once fingers crossed for more clear nights. 

Dave 

• Like 5

I was looking forward to the Geminids, very cloudy here though. There was a hazy gap in the clouds for half hour before 1am. During about 25 mins I saw 4 meteors, the brightest one was through milky cloud cover and had a slight green hue. Managed to get a photo of it just to the left of Orion.

• Like 1

I was out at 5pm and the dreaded winter fog was no where to be seen.

I took my 130 newt out and didn’t use as  the meteors were coming in sometimes two to three a minute.

Just stood in the cold taking it all in. A couple of really bright colorful ones too. For once I really could tell where the radiant point was.

Marv

• Like 3

The sky was clear enough this morning (14th)for a couple of one hour sessions.🙂

Started after the Moon was out of the way. The sky was hazy at 3am but some brighter Geminids were visible, but by 03:45 things improved markedly and thereafter conditions were quite good with only scattered small high clouds. My first observing period (OP) was between 04:15-05:15 the second OP was between 06:01-07:01. The meteors were between about magnitude +3 to -3.

I know the reports are very sketchy ,I'm not a acquired meteor watcher, just giving a general overview of the events.

OP 04:15GMT-05:15GMT

Geminids................................18

Sporadic....................................0

At around 05:00 a negative magnitude meteor with a very short trail flashed into view near and to the west of Castor and Pollux.

OP 06:01GMT-07:01GMT

Geminids..................................21

Sporadic......................................1

Some bright meteors in this run but the highlight was a around 06:50 when a negative magnitude with a very short train (less than 1 degree) flashed into view near the Leo/Cancer boundary just west of the Sickle.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The Geminids is one of those showers I can usually see from my urban garden if the sky is clear. Not this year; rain, cloud and then early hours fog stopped play but I'm glad you got to see them. 👍

So sorry to hear about your weather, it has been horrible down here up until last night. I normally hate the meteor shower alerts but this one came true!

I have done a good few meteor showers for no return but just by chance, last night was great. Seems it is a roll of the dice.

• Like 1