NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary Newtonian anyone

Couldnt believe my eyes when i saw this. Wonder what kind of mount could take this ?   12" F10  Newtonian nearly 10 feet long.

One would hope the figure is good. And what about Flexure. Would this even work ? And has anyone ever purchased one. One wonders.

Nuts

Parabolic Primary Mirror, D300F3000 High precision Scientific Research Astronomical Reflecting Telescope Collimator|Lenses| - AliExpress

Edited by neil phillips

I believe there is a precedent; Clyde Tombaugh is supposed to have used a 12" f/10. It may well be similar to the scope in the wikipedia article photo which looks like it might be f/10: all the photos I can find of the scopes he made show incredibly long tubes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Tombaugh

Edited by rl

39 minutes ago, rl said:

I believe there is a precedent; Clyde Tombaugh is supposed to have used a 12" f/10. It may well be similar to the scope in the wikipedia article photo which looks like it might be f/10: all the photos I can find of the scopes he made show incredibly long tubes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Tombaugh

wow interesting thanks for that information and link

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

I would drill a hole in it to make the scope 5 ft long for a start 🙂

Alan

Thats the sprit of adventure 👌 Some might find it interesting. Maybe the short scopes need stretching lol 😄

Edited by neil phillips

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Does it come with a free step ladder? 😁

Thats also on Ali. Probably there mate down the road 😆 What Amazes me. is the coatings are about as standard as you can get. Yet everything else is about as unstandard as is possible 

Edited by neil phillips

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

I was looking at their other mirrors and they seem to be of SW or GSO standard so not bad but not premium either. 😋🤔

Your paying all that money for the long focal length yet its easier to make. Dont quite get that ? wonder what Orion would charge ? 

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Sure they could do it to special order and as their 300mm f5.3 primary and secondary 1/10 PV set are cheaper so perhaps a similar price but premium optics. 

Yeah probably John. I Am fairly certain mirror makers have a easier time. Compared to Short focal length. So dont understand the extra cost. Was just looking at a 8" long focus achro doublet its really something. F14.3 3000mm long 

Astronomical Telescope Refraction Objective Lens Double Separation Achromatic Large Size D210mm F3000/2400/1800/1200mm|Lenses| - AliExpress

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

That is a beast. And bigger than that lens i showed you. But five times  the price. The chinese 210mm At F14 would  be colour free. wonder what the cell and tube would cost to get it built ? reckon half the price. At F14 like a  backstreet scopetech on steroids. You would worry about the figure though for a £2000 scope unmounted wouldnt you. I aint building it intriguing though sure you agree. Would need a obs around it. Sod trying to lift it on your own. Not possible probably 

Edited by neil phillips

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

And I’ll raise you this. 😁😁😁

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/LZOS-304-3600-T.html

Would be nice to do some lunar imaging with it for a few days. Somewhere high like Hawaii.  But i must complain a bit. The scope will probably be quite a bit better than the far east offerings. But for a better figure better glass and two inches more  its only about £136.000 dearer. Even though i wouldnt build these chinese achros. They are actually doable for about 6 grand mounted i reckon. Wonder if anyone has tried. Have they actually sold 1 ? 

Edited by neil phillips

I have an 8" F8 planetary Newtonian built round a 1/20th wave OOUK optics set and a 12" F8.5 Newtonian with optics by unknown maker but tested and described by Wildey as being so perfect that nothing could be done to improve them.  I did at one time have a 12" F15 achromat objective with which I was going to make a folded refractor but sold it and bought a 16" SCT with the funds.     🙂

I think there is a slight misconception regarding spherical optics of long focus Newtonian mirrors.  Both short focus paraboloids and long focus spheres are difficult to make.  If you want 1/10 wave performance you still need a 1/10th wave sphere.    🙂

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I think there is a slight misconception regarding spherical optics of long focus Newtonian mirrors.  Both short focus paraboloids and long focus spheres are difficult to make.  If you want 1/10 wave performance you still need a 1/10th wave sphere.    🙂

Fair enough Peter. Just something i thought i had read about figuring mirrors.  

43 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I have an 8" F8 planetary Newtonian built round a 1/20th wave OOUK optics set and a 12" F8.5 Newtonian with optics by unknown maker but tested and described by Wildey as being so perfect that nothing could be done to improve them.  I did at one time have a 12" F15 achromat objective with which I was going to make a folded refractor but sold it and bought a 16" SCT with the funds.     🙂

Once had 1/12th OOUK F7 300MM Newtonian sounds like you have had the kind of scopes i could really get my teeth into. Very interesting Peter

This was my longest scope; OO 300mm f6 which was a bit of a beast. For context, the scope beside it is an 8” f20 Mak (OMC200). It wasn’t very stable on the AYODigi II, much better on a dob mount. Anything longer much be completely insane!

A72CB819-E04B-4B8F-8752-D81A97527F8A.jpeg

2FFD4B68-69FB-49BF-BBA1-8C37FB5C6B16.jpeg

• Haha 1