Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Pup again....

Although it was brilliantly clear here last night, I wasn't too hopeful about doubles because Sirius was twinkling quite a bit. However, after letting the scope reach equilibrium on Castor, I moved to The Trapezium which was very clear, with E and F easily visible and the nebula background almost too bright.

The Sigma Orionis group was a joy as ever, and the fainter companion very clear at mag 12. I noticed that many of the doubles around Orion with fainter companions were very obvious - clearly the transparency was truly excellent. More in hope than expectation, I tried the Horsehead which was just visible when in my lower right field of vision (averted). Not as good as the images, but clearly visible.

Just before I packed up at 01:00, I tried Sirius, again not expecting too much even though the seeing had improved a lot. The Pup was easily spotted trailing the primary across the field - probably the best I've ever seen it with the 180 Mak. Although Sirius was scintillating, the Pup appeared stable between the spokes of light. Oh joy!

Chris

• Like 13

Well done Chris! I agree that transparency is just as important as seeing for Sirius B.  I've seein it in glimpses but still waiting for that perfect constant view. 

I was trying some close doubles last evening but decided the seeing did not support my ambitious plans (7 Tauri and Dubhe). At least I got a split of Delta3 Tauri at x250 with the 180 Mak, and then had a relaxing 20 mins with binoculars scanning the open clusters in Auriga and Cassiopeia.  

For the Pup I think I'll wait a bit more until Sirius is higher at a more reasonable time.

• Like 2

Great report and results Chris :icon_biggrin:

I've not waited up late enough for Sirius to be on view as yet this winter so I've that pleasure still to come, I hope.

To get the Horsehead AND the Pup in the same session is pretty special :smiley:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Great report and results Chris :icon_biggrin:

I've not waited up late enough for Sirius to be on view as yet this winter so I've that pleasure still to come, I hope.

To get the Horsehead AND the Pup in the same session is pretty special :smiley:

The HH needs a lot more aperture really to get a good view - it looked very nice when I saw it through a 30 inch!

Chris

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well done @chiltonstar, a pretty cracking session! I wouldn’t have considered the 180 Mak as a prime candidate for spotting the Horsey, but it obviously worked. Was that unfiltered? Great result either way 👍

Unfiltered. When I tried with a borrowed H Alpha filter, the attenuation was a bit too much bearing in mind the small aperture.

My location aka garden is 20.7 mag according to Clear Outside. In effect, looking S is straight onto downland and fields.

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Unfiltered. When I tried with a borrowed H Alpha filter, the attenuation was a bit too much bearing in mind the small aperture.

Isn't H Beta the filter of choice for the HH neb is is that a mistype ?

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1