SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Classic ?

43 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I’m going to call my TSA-102 a classic, lol maybe a while for official classic title but if we’re free to label classics then why not? it just sounds nice.

The problem is if one calls whatever they want, they see fit, a classic without some discussion, some agreement then you quickly lose the gist of the whole, ongoing excercise, the back and forth enjoyment, the interaction between fellow astronomers. These types of threads spring up for years as someone whats to bring up and discuss some new whatever.

• Like 1

I have a few older scopes including a Cook 3.5 inch, ca 1900, and a Tak FS 102, both of which might be regarded as classics by some.

But the real classic in my collection, in my opinion, is actually my newest: Tak FOA 60Q. Combines impeccable construction and performance with it being in the same 60mm f/15 stable as the scopes many of us started with.

• Like 4

Good discussion - to me it’s an inherently subjective definition & so it should remain. 

I’ve picked up a couple of small aperture, long-focus refractors and refer to them as “Classics” partly semi-ironically just meaning “old”.  As in the marketing of anything old & a bit knackered as a “classic”.  (By the 25 year definition I personally passed into the double-Classic category this year which is quite sobering.) 

However the main source of information on these battered old relics is the CN “Classic Telescopes” section - so it’s kind of infectious. 

Stopping to think about it though I’d say “Classic” in many spheres refers to something that is archetypical of its era - under which definition pre-Synta small Japanese-made refractors certainly qualify no matter their bargain basement status.  

Anythjng that requires Edwardian clothing to be worn for use should certainly qualify - here’s my c1900 Clarkson 3 inch in action as evidence…. 

E68C64A9-5E59-4B09-B044-810119C94128.jpeg

• Like 4

It was suggested we supplied a pic of the scope we’re talking about, agreed that’s a good idea so here’s my Edmund Scientific Astroscan mentioned earlier-

You’ll notice the larger than standard focus wheel, it gives better control of the admittedly……..erm…….well lets just say rather “basic” focuser…….

Ed (not Ting😊)

57383552-25AC-4D3C-869F-70E3ECEF0BF4.jpeg

Edited by NGC 1502
Added info
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My late 1959 Tasco Model 308 the forerunner of all the Tasco 9 scopes that followed for decades. It is complete even the wooden case behind.  Bought it from a couple for $150 C + shipping, I didn't need it but I wanted to save it from the wrong hands, preserve it if you will.  I intend to give it to a fellow astronomer when he is able to travel about 1250 miles to pick it up. Classic or no classic it is in my eyes !

AFFF4CD9-0B59-4979-8A7F-31195B3E30C4.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

But the real classic in my collection, in my opinion, is actually my newest: Tak FOA 60Q.

Your FOA 60Q sounds like a cracking little refractor, it must be a breeze to set up and use, I would love on for those quick peeks at the moon/planets.

• Like 1