Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Boxes or bags?

UKDiver

Being asked about what others can get me for the dreaded Christmas, the subject of storing kit in boxes or bags came up. Now I'm used to carrying dive kit in crates rather than bags, mainly for water retention in car boots. Bags leak and also tend to let kit get damaged as bags to get piled up a bit on boats. Big crates sheds are ideal.

I think things are a little more nuanced with a scope. For a start, it will be kept indoors. I'm not at the grab and go stage, although the scope does currently site on the tripos in the conservatory. Not a long term domestically successful solution. I like the idea of boxes because they can be stacked and take knocks. Flip side, knocks indoors tend to mean paintwork damage or leg bruises. So softer bags seam ideal I note some have purpose build bags from astro-stores, others have bags used to move such things as lighting kit. While they can't be stacked, I'm tending towards such bags as they might encourage a little more delicacy of use.

Scope is FC-100DC on Skytee2 on SW tripod. I think I'll want to find a lighter mount/tripod option in future, but for now I'd mainly be interested in bag/box for the scope and eye pieces. Tripod is secondary and I might try and find an old golf bag in second hand shops.

Are there any other issues I should consider re bags or boxes?

Adrian

• Like 1

My 102ED is kept in a cheap flight case from 

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/roc-cases-large-silver-flight-case-with-foam-insert-l680xw300xh190mm

Not recommended for actual air travel but I'm happy the telescope is well protected from my partner's enthusiastic vacuuming , kids and cats. No qualms about car travel.

They have several smaller cases suitable for eyepieces and sell more expensive cases should you wish to splash out or intend to fly.

Loads of other assorted kit is stored in an Oplok bag:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-small-telescopes.html

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, UKDiver said:

Scope is FC-100DC on Skytee2 on SW tripod. I think I'll want to find a lighter mount/tripod option in future, but for now I'd mainly be interested in bag/box for the scope

If it helps, this is the bag I stored my (now your) FC-100DC in... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-100mm-900mm-apo-refractors.html

I've also got the slightly smaller one for the FOA-60Q and the bigger one for the Mewlon 180C... they keep them from getting dusty and should protect them from slight knocks and scrapes. They're really well made too, and enough space to leave the diagonal (and even an eyepiece) attached, ready to go.

My StellaMira 80 (see sales section), does have an aluminium carry case, which is also great, but that came with the scope and not sure they're available to buy for other scopes.

I do keep the FC-76DCU mounted permanently on the ScopeTech/Report combo, as that is a genuine "grab and go" scope and get's carried outside (carefully) in one go 👍

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

If it helps, this is the bag I stored my (now your) FC-100DC in... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-100mm-900mm-apo-refractors.html

I've also got the slightly smaller one for the FOA-60Q and the bigger one for the Mewlon 180C... they keep them from getting dusty and should protect them from slight knocks and scrapes. They're really well made too, and enough space to leave the diagonal (and even an eyepiece) attached, ready to go.

My StellaMira 80 (see sales section), does have an aluminium carry case, which is also great, but that came with the scope and not sure they're available to buy for other scopes.

I do keep the FC-76DCU mounted permanently on the ScopeTech/Report combo, as that is a genuine "grab and go" scope and get's carried outside (carefully) in one go 👍

Thank you Gary,

Does the bag have room to keep the eyepiece mounted?

Adrian

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

Thank you Gary,

Does the bag have room to keep the eyepiece mounted?

Adrian

An eyepiece around the size of the Pantoptic 15 no problem.... an Ethos or XW would struggle, although I didn't try with the diagonal rotated sideways 🤔

39 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

An eyepiece around the size of the Pantoptic 15 no problem.... an Ethos or XW would struggle, although I didn't try with the diagonal rotated sideways 🤔

My brain and fingers were not properly engaged. I meant to ask about leaving the finder on, not eyepiece!

If I ever develop Alzheimers, I wonder if anyone will tell. ;)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

I meant to ask about leaving the finder on, not eyepiece!

Unfortunately the space around the scope is a bit too tight for leaving the finder on... all my Taks now have quick release finder shoes fitted and I store the finders separately. It "might" be possible to get a low profile finder ring set (I had one on my StellaMira) which might work, but not tested this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Unfortunately the space around the scope is a bit too tight for leaving the finder on... all my Taks now have quick release finder shoes fitted and I store the finders separately. It "might" be possible to get a low profile finder ring set (I had one on my StellaMira) which might work, but not tested this.

Ta.

I got myself the small Tak finder, but I'm starting to regret that and not getting a small RACI instead. I wonder how many other mistakes I've made/will make!

Currently struggling to undo the lock to remove the prism. Fun fun fun.

• Sad 1