Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ceres on the Move!

I've been following Ceres through the Hyades since early November and decided to try for an image.  Its position changes significantly from night to night making it easy to spot the "moving object" among the stars. These are shots I took through my 127mm Mak on the evenings of November 13 and 14.  I can't wait until Ceres' opposition on the 26th!

63092744_ASTRONOMY-CERESINMOTIONA11-13-21.thumb.jpg.c6df82359e2bb3028d1de296657bf75c.jpg

457646201_ASTRONOMY-CERESINMOTIONB11-14-21.thumb.jpg.064d5fbd7e713cd24f410a4c69a08deb.jpg

Cheers! 

Reggie🚀

• Like 14

4 hours ago, orion25 said:

I've been following Ceres through the Hyades since early November and decided to try for an image.  Its position changes significantly from night to night making it easy to spot the "moving object" among the stars. These are shots I took through my 127mm Mak on the evenings of November 13 and 14.  I can't wait until Ceres' opposition on the 26th!

63092744_ASTRONOMY-CERESINMOTIONA11-13-21.thumb.jpg.c6df82359e2bb3028d1de296657bf75c.jpg

457646201_ASTRONOMY-CERESINMOTIONB11-14-21.thumb.jpg.064d5fbd7e713cd24f410a4c69a08deb.jpg

Cheers! 

Reggie🚀

Nice captures Reggie. I haven't observed or imaged any asteroids for quite a while. You really appreciate the dynamics and scale of the Solar System when you see these mini worlds move so quickly relative to the stars. Nice work!

George

• Like 1

Nice shots Reggie. I’ve not looked at it since it passed Aldebaran, great to track the movement over time.

I see you’ve got down to mag 12 in your shot, the asteroid Crimea is nearby at mag 13.2, I wonder if you could get that, with a bit more exposure?

• Like 1

Nicely captured. I love picking out asteroids in my images. They're everywhere! 

I was lucky to get a weather window on Nov 3rd as Ceres passed Aldebaran but not caught up with it since. I could have grabbed a shot on Sunday but was too absorbed elsewhere in Taurus imaging M's 1 & 45 . There are worse ways to be distracted :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawksmoor said:

Nice captures Reggie. I haven't observed or imaged any asteroids for quite a while. You really appreciate the dynamics and scale of the Solar System when you see these mini worlds move so quickly relative to the stars. Nice work!

George

Thanks, George. It's moving fast!

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice shots Reggie. I’ve not looked at it since it passed Aldebaran, great to track the movement over time.

I see you’ve got down to mag 12 in your shot, the asteroid Crimea is nearby at mag 13.2, I wonder if you could get that, with a bit more exposure?

Thanks, Stu. I hadn't thought of that; interesting challenge!

2 hours ago, Paul M said:

Nicely captured. I love picking out asteroids in my images. They're everywhere! 

I was lucky to get a weather window on Nov 3rd as Ceres passed Aldebaran but not caught up with it since. I could have grabbed a shot on Sunday but was too absorbed elsewhere in Taurus imaging M's 1 & 45 . There are worse ways to be distracted :) 

Thanks, Paul. Yes, M1 and M45 are worthy of distraction, lol!

• Like 1