Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Berlebach Observing Chairs

Hi there,

I am keen on getting a proper observing chair (the old ironing board chair is beyond repair) and after having a Uni 28 tripod for the last year I am happy to purchase a Berlebach chair. As usual though, Berlebach spoils us with choices. Generally with Berlebach, you get what you pay for but I am not sure what the advantages are with their offerings:

The Charon model has 12 settings from 10 to 93 cm while the Hydra / NIX are fully adjustable from 25 to 75 cm. Is it a case of more settings in a smaller more usable range?

While we all hope we have small butts, is the bigger seat size 25 by 21 versus 32 by 28 cm a consideration after a few hours observing?

I like to use the binos occasionally, do all the chairs provide good back support when at the lowest positions?

For reference I have a AZ100 on a Uni 28 tripod and use either a C9.25 or an Orion Optics SPX200 F4.5 scope.

Regards\

Donal

• 4 months later...

This is what i use : a 'Meychair' musicians stool. Quite a bit cheaper than the BB chair (or it was)

Its very sturdy goes up / down with a 250mm range and will tilt side to side.

FLO at one time used to stock them, but no more. But its still possible to buy direct from Deutschland.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/mey_chair_systems_af6_kl_bk.htm

22916277599_409887e22a_b.jpg

For awhile I used the classic observing chair (beautifully made out of oak) similar to the wooden one as shown earlier in the thread and also used a metal one. Both Ok but sold them in favour of a three legged stool with circular seat that could be adjusted in height as it was on a circular screw thread. Very comfortable, easily adjustable by spinning the seat and I use it all the time. Years old and it will see me out. See picture below, taken off the internet but very similar to my stall.

See the source image

Mike

• Like 1

Yes, I recently got one of those for £10 via Gumtree. As has been pointed out to me on here already it’s originally an Ikea product which is sadly no longer made. Although being  Ikea there must be quite a lot hanging about in people homes. Worth looking secondhand.

C6438F1A-267D-4303-9999-3D1E3251164C.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz