SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

20x80 binoculars

thommo10

Hi all. 

I need advice, I am looking for a pair of binoculars to replace my 15x70's revaltion, ideally 20x80 as a grab and go and for when I'm on holiday in my caravan, I did actually purchase a pair of opticron oregon from flo but they had a mark on the inside of one of the objective lens, flo we're excellent and refunded me, so I'm still looking, I've read so many reviews now I don't know which way to go. Any advice please. 

9 hours ago, thommo10 said:

Hi all. 

I need advice, I am looking for a pair of binoculars to replace my 15x70's revaltion, ideally 20x80 as a grab and go and for when I'm on holiday in my caravan, I did actually purchase a pair of opticron oregon from flo but they had a mark on the inside of one of the objective lens, flo we're excellent and refunded me, so I'm still looking, I've read so many reviews now I don't know which way to go. Any advice please. 

Shame that my Oregon 20x80s from Flo are excellent. Collimation was a bit boarderline. But not enough to send them back. No double vision or headaches or anything. For the money they perform well. Not a binocular expert. So others will help more. But would be interested myself on other options at these prices. I do think for the price The Oregons are very good. Personally i would have tried a second pair. Will watch this space for alternatives from those who know more. Sky master pros are supposed to be good. But higher price

The trouble with many of these low priced larger binoculars is that they all come from China and have minimal quality control...in fact the customer is actually the "quality controller" - meaning that if you're not satisfied with them you send them back for a replacement or refund, as it's cheaper for the manufacturer to accept say a 10% return rate than to employ several proper, human quality controllers in their factories!

Also, many of the cheaper budget brands may have 70 or 80mm aperture on the box, but they are often stopped down to a lower aperture to try to reduce chromatic aberration, so a 70mm claimed aperture may only offer a true 60mm aperture, for example.

Having been caught myself in this way, I actually decided to buy a good used pair, and I went for the Orion Mini Giant 9x63 model. I find these really excellent and I can handhold them for short periods for quick scanning sessions: however they perform to their best on a lightweight tripod.

The Orion Mini Giants are, pleasingly, made in Japan, not China, and the quality is very good, both optically and in build quality. They have also been around for c 20 years, so are a well proven design. 

The 9x63mm are available new on Amazon UK for £179. Orion also offer an option in 15x63mm if you want more magnification, at around £200 new. 

I've attached a link which shows a picture too, but if you Google Cloudy Nights/Orion Mini Giant binoculars you will readily find a lot of reviews.

I bought mine a couple of years ago, almost 20 years old, but in very nice condition, for £100 and am delighted every time I use them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-09463-Giant-Astronomy-Binoculars/dp/B0000XMRKI&ved=2ahUKEwir6uy8zI30AhVGDOwKHbfIC54QFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0a23ZveUmFbi8_3DT-2TQ-

Hope that helps🙂

Dave 

Edited by F15Rules

8 hours ago, F15Rules said:

The trouble with many of these low priced larger binoculars is that they all come from China and have minimal quality control...in fact the customer is actually the "quality controller" - meaning that if you're not satisfied with them you send them back for a replacement or refund, as it's cheaper for the manufacturer to accept say a 10% return rate than to employ several proper, human quality controllers in their factories!

Also, many of the cheaper budget brands may have 70 or 80mm aperture on the box, but they are often stopped down to a lower aperture to try to reduce chromatic aberration, so a 70mm claimed aperture may only offer a true 60mm aperture, for example.

Having been caught myself in this way, I actually decided to buy a good used pair, and I went for the Orion Mini Giant 9x63 model. I find these really excellent and I can handhold them for short periods for quick scanning sessions: however they perform to their best on a lightweight tripod.

The Orion Mini Giants are, pleasingly, made in Japan, not China, and the quality is very good, both optically and in build quality. They have also been around for c 20 years, so are a well proven design. 

The 9x63mm are available new on Amazon UK for £179. Orion also offer an option in 15x63mm if you want more magnification, at around £200 new. 

I've attached a link which shows a picture too, but if you Google Cloudy Nights/Orion Mini Giant binoculars you will readily find a lot of reviews.

I bought mine a couple of years ago, almost 20 years old, but in very nice condition, for £100 and am delighted every time I use them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-09463-Giant-Astronomy-Binoculars/dp/B0000XMRKI&ved=2ahUKEwir6uy8zI30AhVGDOwKHbfIC54QFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0a23ZveUmFbi8_3DT-2TQ-

Hope that helps🙂

Dave 

Too true about QC. stopping down seems to be a trend on a lot of optics. scopes included. Oregons were 76mm not as bad as some. 

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Too true about QC. stopping down seems to be a trend on a lot of optics. scopes included. Oregons were 76mm not as bad as some. 

I agree Neil..and Opticron are a good brand overall, I've owned several pairs of their bins (not the bigger ones though), and they all delivered good performance.

Dave

14 minutes ago, Merlin said:

The  stopped down bins could be a manufacturers’ trick to make us think that we are getting more than we are.

There is often sound reasons why stopping down optics actually improves the view. I think the real issue is, It never seems to be advertised as the working apeture. But the size of the lens or mirror that is used in the design. Which is misleading at best. If this is what you mean then totally agree. My old meade 7" maksutov was advertised as 7". It used a  8.25 primary. The good old days

Edited by neil phillips

I have a pair of steiner 20x80 which I use now and again. Normally to pick up a comet that has reached a reasonable brightness. I always mean to build a mount for them but never seem to get around to it. In my view this size of bino is a bit of a pain hand held. Probably not describe them as 'grab and go'. 

It reminds me of recent stories about Parmesan cheese. Apparently some producers have been adding significant quantities of cellulose, yet still labeling it 100% Parmesan cheese. They should be lined up against the same wall.

Edited by Captain Magenta

10 or 11 x70's hits the sweetspot for me. Extra lightgrasp, optimum exit pupil and low-power enough to be handheld. I think as soon as you go beyond 70mm of aperture and x10/11 magnification, you really should be considering mounted binoculars, in my opinion at least. The 9x56 look good as well, but I have not had the chance to try these yet.

• 1 month later...

4 hours ago, thommo10 said:

Thanks for the replies, still trying to decide, but I'm leaning towards the Celestron skymaster pro 20x80 binoculars at the moment or the Bresser 20x80 

I think you will need a tripod plus pistol grip head with 20x80 binoculars for stable views.

I have had great views using my Orion Monster Parallelogram Mount with Giant view 25x100 binoculars, so quick to setup to view between clouds. Next year I hope to buy the Helios 20x40x100 Semi App binoculars so I can change eyepieces sets.

helios_quantum5.png

Edited by Mick H

I was initially looking for a pair of 20x80’s as i wanted a little bit more magnification than my new Opticron 15x70 were giving me. In the end I went for the Pentax WP 20x60’s. I lost a little with the FOV but I didn’t mind. The quality is excellent and the clarity is great edge to edge. Then again this is the quality that we have become accustomed to with Pentax. Great value for the money 

1 hour ago, thommo10 said:

Thanks bosun21 I will have a look at those,  I wear spectacles and was wondering how much this would impact on the fov on 20x60 binoculars. 

The FOV is more than adequate for astronomy, and the eye relief is great. With the twist up eyecups in the mid position you can see the full FOV with glasses on. HTH

Thanks for the information bosun21, I think I've narrowed my choice to three, Celestron skymaster pro 20x80 binoculars, Bresser spezial-astro 20x80 and the Pentax wp 20x60 binoculars.  Any final advice before I take the plunge.? 

6 hours ago, thommo10 said:

Thanks for the information bosun21, I think I've narrowed my choice to three, Celestron skymaster pro 20x80 binoculars, Bresser spezial-astro 20x80 and the Pentax wp 20x60 binoculars.  Any final advice before I take the plunge.? 

Read the review from the binoculars expert. It’s good to look at the moon without any noticeable CA

https://binocularsky.com/reviews/Pentax_SP_20x60.pdf

Edited by bosun21
Link

I am sure these would be considered on the low end, based on the pictures in some of the replies, but for under 300 bucks Orion sells a pair of 20x80s with a tripod.  I find them to work quite well.  I can easily see the Orion Nebula, Andromeda, and the planets.