NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Asiair Pro, do I need one, what does it do, or could I just use a powered USB HUB?

Just delving into mono filter astrophotography and recently got the ASI1600mm EFW set and I am yet to image with it just yet, just sorting out my balancing and dew heaters so it's all ready to go. I image usually with my DSLR from a nearby laptop.

So I'm curious, I see some people using a powered USB hub to power all their items but also I've seen lots of people use the ASIAIR pro. Is the ASIAIR for controlling their scope from a Wi-Fi Android device primarily with the ASIAIR App, or can it also act as a glorified USB powered hub for a PC to operate from also? I would like to control my ASI1600mm, EFW, guide scope and dew heater strips from a device with my nearby laptop and maybe the flexibility of taking my setup to a field without worrying about a PC would be nice but not what I'm currently looking for. Or is it basically solely a solution for you to image whilst in a field without a laptop/computer?

Basically, do I go power USB hub, or an ASIAIR PRO if that's recommended?

Sorry if that's confusing, thanks in advanced for any responses. :)

Hi,

The AAP needs to be controlled via the app on Android or iOS. I would recommend a tablet over a phone for this.

It is actually a decent bit of kit for the price. It will guide, control your mount, perform go to/plate solve, focus, and give you good control over your ZWO cameras. The 4 power ports are good enough for accessories and cameras (including a dew strip) but you would want your mount to have a separate  dedicated supply not through the AAP.

The downside is that its only compatible with ZWO and most DSLR (except Sony) cameras.

For me it has cut down on cables and simplified the imaging process compared to running everything from a laptop, but its not perfect. Troubleshooting issues can be difficult.

A powered USB hub will only connect your USB devices to your laptop, it won't supply the 12v power to run the mount & the cooling on the ASI1600MM.

The ASIAir Pro or Plus will connect the USB devices and power them. On top of that it will take the place of the likes of APT, Stellarium, PHD2 & SharpCap (if you use it for imaging or just PA).

There's also the Pegasus Powerbox Advance which has 4x 12v power sockets, 4x USB3 sockets and 2x RCA ports for dew heaters. This will power everything, including the mount and leave you needing just a 12v power cable to the Powerbox and a USB3 cable from the Powerbox to your laptop.

I already had a Powerbox Advance and got the new ASIAir Plus a couple of weeks ago (still to use it in anger :clouds1:). I have the Powerbox powering the ASIAir Plus, the mount and the dew heaters. The ASIAir Plus has USB connections to the ASI294MC Pro main camera, EAF, ASI120MM Mini guide camera and the HEQ5 mount. It also powers the ASI294MC and seems to work fine during practice set ups. 

The Powerbox is attached to the mount and everything else is on the main scope, so cable management is a lot easier. ;)

The two previous posters have said it all nicely really.  I’m a recent convert to using the ASIair having previously controlled my mount, cameras, guiding etc from a computer.   Essentially I’ve downsized. The ASIair simplifies things. One wire for power  and that’s it instead of several with all the concomitant USB dropouts etc. As pointed out already, the ASIair is a Raspberry Pi restricted to ZWO products, and some DSLRs. My Canon 450D works fine with it.  There are other raspberry pi based systems similar to the ASIair which run versions of software like KStars/ekos/indi and which are more versatile (and more complicated) in that they will control a huge range of devices made by different manufacturers.