Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eye piece recommendations for FS60(Q)

Icesheet

I’m looking to add a couple of eye pieces for an FS60 CB which I also have the Q module for. Currently I have a TV panoptic 15mm and Celestron Ultima 7.5mm so I’m looking for something at either end for wide field views and planetary. I had thought the 24mm Pan and Nagler 3-6 zoom would be nice but that’s coming in at £650 new. 

Are there any more budget friendly recommendations? I’m a novice observer so don’t have much experience with eye pieces. 

• Like 1

I have the same scope setup and whereas I prefer the Tak TOE eyepieces for high power it's hard to beat the Nagler zoom for versatility. You can change the magnification easily to match the seeing conditions. So I would recommend the Nagler zoom  and maybe a budget one for low powers? Possibly even sell the Celestron as it's 7.5 is quite similar to the Nagler's 6mm? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

If you stick with 1.25-inch eyepieces, a good choice of low power/widest field EP would be the APM UFF 24

Thanks, I should have mentioned I’m planning on sticking to 1.25” at the moment. I’ll check that one out. 

8 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

I have the same scope setup and whereas I prefer the Tak TOE eyepieces for high power it's hard to beat the Nagler zoom for versatility. You can change the magnification easily to match the seeing conditions. So I would recommend the Nagler zoom  and maybe a budget one for low powers? Possibly even sell the Celestron as it's 7.5 is quite similar to the Nagler's 6mm? 

Thanks. Yeah, I have to be honest I’m drawn to the Nagler zoom. I really like the Ultima but I’m not completely against selling it. Would have no idea how to price it though. 

What about selling both my eye pieces and replacing them with a Hyperion Zoom along with a Nagler zoom?

• Like 1

The Panoptic 24 is a fine eyepiece and I use it with my Tak FS 60Q and FOA 60Q. But it does show rectilinear distortion. This is prominent when moving the Moon across the field: it goes egg shaped near the edge. The APM 24UFF is much  better in that respect 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

I must admit I have never used a 24 Panoptic but I only ever hear good things about it. I would think long and hard before selling it. It must give a pretty good wide field view with the 60CB?

Sorry for the confusion. It’s the 15mm panoptic I own not the 24mm. I was considering getting the 24mm but the APM @JeremyS suggests looks nice at nearly half the price. 

• Like 2

Sorry, it was my confusion :) I rushed in too quick with my reply. My own opinion; I think the FS60CB/Q is such a fabulous scope it deserves great eyepieces. It was largely due to @JeremyS that I discovered the delights of owning a Takahashi so I would be very happy to take his advice on eyepieces for them!

Malcolm

• Like 1

One nice thing about the FS-60 in Q mode is that the relatively slow focal ratio is pretty forgiving with eyepieces and even relatively cheap ones like basic Plössls can deliver great views.

If I want a high power zoom I use my Baader Hyperion 8-24mm with the dedicated 2.25x Barlow to give 3.6-10.7mm (56x-159x magnification) since I can't afford the Nagler zoom.

I was using a Barlowed 6mm Fujiyama ortho with my FS-60Q last night to look at the Moon and it was surprising how well the image held up at 225x magnification even in moderate seeing so it's obviously one of those scopes that can take high magnifications very well considering its tiny size.

• Like 1

I can't add much to the suggestions, but I did find it amusing that you're considering the first two eyepieces I bought when getting back into the hobby. 24 Pan came first then the 3-6 Nagler Zoom.

I bought the 24 Pan because I borrowed one 20 odd years ago first time round and absolutely loved it. And I'm doing so again now. The 3-6 Zoom was purchased for the flexibility of getting the best magnification for the seeing conditions. In my NP101is it gives 90x - 180x which is pretty flexible for a session observing Jupiter/Saturn etc. 

I'm sure there's cheaper alternatives but I do really like these two eyepieces though, and they complement each other well - in case you wanted an opinion from someone who has both

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I can't add much to the suggestions, but I did find it amusing that you're considering the first two eyepieces I bought when getting back into the hobby. 24 Pan came first then the 3-6 Nagler Zoom.

I bought the 24 Pan because I borrowed one 20 odd years ago first time round and absolutely loved it. And I'm doing so again now. The 3-6 Zoom was purchased for the flexibility of getting the best magnification for the seeing conditions. In my NP101is it gives 90x - 180x which is pretty flexible for a session observing Jupiter/Saturn etc. 

I'm sure there's cheaper alternatives but I do really like these two eyepieces though, and they complement each other well - in case you wanted an opinion from someone who has both

I agree. These are excellent eyepieces and are part of my set 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I agree. These are excellent eyepieces and are part of my set 

Likewise… most of the time, when I am using my Tak FOA-60 (usually in Q mode), I use this set (see photo), which includes these two eyepieces (plus your Panoptic 15mm) and am perfectly happy with the views I get 😀

I do also have the Hyperion 8-24 zoom and it makes for a perfect “grab and go” single eyepiece 👍

D5A209F0-EA64-481F-BB00-76AD506EDAEE.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all, some great suggestions here!

10 hours ago, JeremyS said:

By the way, the Altair 24 UFF is supposed to be the same optically as the APM: https://www.altairastro.com/altair-24mm-ultraflat-eyepiece---precision-barrel-stainless-steel-237-p.asp

And it’s cheaper. It’s  just a weird colour 🤣, but who cares in the dark. It was the APM I had for a while.

Thanks Jeremy good spot. I read some reviews of this last night and all were very favourable even in comparison to the 24mm Pan so I think this is a real option and I can deal with the colour for the extra saving! 

11 hours ago, Louis D said:

You could go @John's route as below using a Skywatcher Hyperflex 7.2-21.5mm zoom with a Baader Q-Turret 2.25x Barlow to get a 9.55mm to 3.2mm zoom if funds are tight:

This really interests me as a budget option for higher power observing and since @Andrew_B is also having success barlowing a zoom with the FS60Q, this could be an option. I will probably also keep my eye out on the used market for a Nagler zoom if that itch needs scratched.

Great minds think alike @Bridgehouse 😂. I think if money was no issue I would just go straight to this and it’s good to know I wouldn’t regret it. I’ll probably end up there at some point!

9 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Likewise… most of the time, when I am using my Tak FOA-60 (usually in Q mode), I use this set (see photo), which includes these two eyepieces (plus your Panoptic 15mm) and am perfectly happy with the views I get 😀

I do also have the Hyperion 8-24 zoom and it makes for a perfect “grab and go” single eyepiece 👍

D5A209F0-EA64-481F-BB00-76AD506EDAEE.jpeg

That is some collection 😍 I’m curious how you think the Hyperion Zoom stacks up against the fixed focal length eye pieces and have you barlowed it at all??

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Icesheet said:

That is some collection 😍 I’m curious how you think the Hyperion Zoom stacks up against the fixed focal length eye pieces and have you barlowed it at all??

Thanks... this is the set I use most of the time now for short sessions and love it 🙂

I really only use the Hyperion Zoom now as a pair for binoviewing, but have used the matching barlow and it works well. I would say that the Hyperion is a great option for normal use, just be aware that it's FoV reduces as you go up in focal length (I think at 24mm, it's only about 44 degrees FoV).

The photo I posted above is now out of date, as I've replaced the 30mm Meade with an ES 6.7mm 82... these ES 82s are lovely eyepieces 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some new kit on the way!

Picked up a Baader Zeiss T2 prism second hand, virtually unused. Also, went for the Altair 24 UFF that @JeremyS suggested. Finally, I ordered a Hyperion zoom and Barlow. It looked like the price might be rising on these so just jumped on it. It will give me the TV zoom range in the meantime and I’ll be able to see what fixed FL eye pieces will likely be most suitable for me. Seems most people end up keeping it in their bag anyway so I hope it’s a good investment either way!

• Like 2

On 26/10/2021 at 14:49, fireballxl5 said:

Having the FS60CB with Extender-Q already, is there a preferred binoviewer that works well with this scope?

I briefly tried WO BV’s on my Tak FS-60Q, and they do work.....however they make my setup tail heavy, puts a lot of strain on the small focuser and for me defeats the objective of ultra lightweight grab & go so I tend to use them on my 4” Tak FC-100DL which I feel is much more suited to the task, YMMV though. 

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 3