Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Northern Scutum

Tom OD

Here is a six pane mosaic at 530mm and full frame CCD from the 11 Meg Atik. Ollys camera as mine seems to be kaput. Taken from Les Granges with my remote rig. FSQ106ED, on a Mesu 200.

I always loved looking at this part of the Milky Way. To me it feels brighter than areas nearer the galactic center. So I decided to try and image it  to see if there

was any space between the stars at all. Not much s the answer, and some Ha signal coming in from the right hand side.

M11 the Wild Duck Cluster is in the top left, the plate solve failed so I need to figure out another method to get the reset of the objects. There is a tiny beauty of a Planetary nebula in the bottom left. I'll attach a crop of it.

Each pane has 9hrs of RGB, and 2hrs of Lum making it 66hrs in total.

Tom

Scutum Mosaic LRGB 6 Mosaic.jpg

Scutum NGC6712 IC 1295.jpg

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Hi smashing image.

Out of curiosity I uploaded it to astrometry.net, the Planetary Nebula is IC1295.

4CDDBD7E-2200-4441-9E07-31E0DAB2EC8E.jpeg.9a86ce78adefa26dd0e609945e76e805.jpeg

Thanks Scoot. I must remember to use Astrometry.net in future if PI fails to solve. I had another pane from a previous pic for the bottom right of the image, taking in another IC blue nebula. It would have meant a third row

would be needed on the bottom, so I decided to leave it out for this year. I might try and finish off the bottom row and add a 4th row to get the whole constellation next Spring  /Summer

5 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Wow, that's a great image Tom. Some test of the optics with all those stars. 

Thanks Richard,

Yes it s a busy area, and given I still have some tilt i need to fix on the imaging train, I have to crop out some edge areas.

Tom.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom OD said:

I must remember to use Astrometry.net in future if PI fails to solve.

Great image. PixInsight image solver can be quite tricky. But at least you can use the annotation script on any image that has ra and dec coordinates in its header.

On 25/10/2021 at 00:35, wimvb said:

Great image. PixInsight image solver can be quite tricky. But at least you can use the annotation script on any image that has ra and dec coordinates in its header.

Thanks Wim,

As this is a mosaic, I dont know if the RA and Dec end up in the final header data. I d be surprised if it did.

Tom.

8 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Thanks Wim,

As this is a mosaic, I dont know if the RA and Dec end up in the final header data. I d be surprised if it did.

Tom.

Lovely image, impossibly dense with stars. The mosaic will have issues with correct astrometrics in the headers and maybe from relative star sizes/positions in the PI script (I don't know in the latter case but stars look to be touching more often that usual for the PI script, or centroid resolution issues.....). Wim's suggestion of astronetry.net is always one option. One way that might work is to mosiac a single sub from each frame, to get a linear sub with lower stellar HFR, maybe that might solve in PI?

4 hours ago, GalaxyGael said:

Lovely image, impossibly dense with stars. The mosaic will have issues with correct astrometrics in the headers and maybe from relative star sizes/positions in the PI script (I don't know in the latter case but stars look to be touching more often that usual for the PI script, or centroid resolution issues.....). Wim's suggestion of astronetry.net is always one option. One way that might work is to mosiac a single sub from each frame, to get a linear sub with lower stellar HFR, maybe that might solve in PI?

Thanks Colm, and everyone for the comments.

Yes I'll try that on the next mosaic and see if it retains the data, or if it can solve it. At least there is a plan B with Astrometry.

Tom