NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Diplodocus - dark nebulae (vdB 126 and LDN 768,769)

tooth_dr

I found this region by chance when composing my image of the Coathanger.  These bits of dark nebula are located just below (or is it above?) the flat section of the Coathanger.

A bit about this region:

vdB 126 is a reflection nebula in Vulpecula, and lies along the line between the stars Albireo and α Vulpeculae.

vdB 126 shines in the foreground of the dark nebulae LDN 768 and LDN 769, which are easily visible against the millions of stars in the backgorund.

The gas and dust in the nebula reflects the light of the main sequence star HD 182918.

This image was made up from exactly two hours of luminance data and 2 hours 18 minutes of OSC data.  I dont think I've ever seen so many stars in one image.

C+C welcome

Adam

vdb126-LUM_OSC_50.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
Resized image attached
  • Like 27

Just now, Allinthehead said:

Very nice, looks like you captured Nessy. There're some great targets in this region, unfortunately for me they're in the most light polluted part of my sky at this time of year.

Thanks Richard.  It's a little untidy.  The focus for the Epsilon OSC was out a bit, it is blurry and there are double diffraction spikes on the brighter stars.  The luminance layer from the APM has helped a lot.

On 22/10/2021 at 21:03, tooth_dr said:

I dont think I've ever seen so many stars in one image.

Lovely. Nice region isn't it? A textured golden textile backdrop. M7 is another that has a similar background with large gold and blue large stars much like Cr399, but we have to untick 'ground' on stellarium to see it ;) 

• Like 1