Nice optical surprise.

I picked up a pre-owned 200mm F/6 newtonian today to bridge the gap between my 130mm refractor and my 300mm dobsonian as a lighter alternative to the dob for society observing sessions etc.

I was expecting a tidy decade old scope with Orion Optics decent basic optics and was very pleasantly surprised to find this in the envelope that came with the scope:

oo200f6.thumb.jpg.e5c67f30fd6fc8e51340992b3b032a6c.jpg

The scope and optics are immaculate - I'd swear that the scope has never been used.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, rl said:

...Looks like the age-old debate is about to real its ugly head again...!

I'll try and resist that !

Mind you, given that this newt cost about as much as the finder on my TMB/LZOS ............ :evil4:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a lovely find John, so nice when that happens, congratulations. If you do some comparisons one day, I’d be interested to see the different performance between your new scope and the dob on say the planets, Luna and some tight doubles. Would be a nice demo of what premium optics can give over mass produced optics. No rush. 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2021 at 20:32, rl said:

Very nice indeed. We will of course be expecting comparisons....

Looks like the age-old debate is about to real its ugly head again...!

...when I first read that, I thought you meant "The reflectors vs refractors" debate..but as that particular debate was won by fracs long ago..you obviously meant "rack and pinion vs crayford" focusers.. 

My apologies for jumping to conclusions! 

🙈🛡️😋😂🤣🍿

Dave

• Haha 1

On 17/10/2021 at 21:03, JeremyS said:

Looks great John 👍🏻

I doubt the TMB 130 is quaking in its boots though 🤣

It probably won't but  I  would not be surprised if you find it  give's it a good run for it's money though ! Whatever your view on Orion Optics, they produce some excellent Newtonian mirrors  that  are often superb performers especially the F6  8" mirror set with Hilux coatings . They are a good deal sharper with smoother optical surfaces than the average  Chinese mirrors. Expensive if you buy new though! Used is the way to go as you have done  and good for you  for getting one with a high spec.
I remember having an 8" 1/6th wave and the views it gave of Saturn  and Mars at favourable opposition are still ingrained in my memory many years later.  Sure you will love it !👍

Dave