Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NAN through filtered widefield binos

Stu

I bought a pair of Chinon Countryman 7x35 Extra Wide binoculars some years back, and a kind gentleman called @PeterW 3D printed me a pair of adaptors to hold to my 2” Lumicon UHC and OIII filters nicely over the objectives.

I haven’t used them for a while, so had a quick session last night, aiming to find the North America Nebula. It was somewhat challenging with a puppy running around causing lights to come and me taking pictures of the lovely orange Moon setting over the hill, so I never really got more than about ten minutes of dark adaptation.

The Milky Way was only very faintly visible, but even then once I got Deneb into view, I could immediately see the North America Nebula with the ten degree field of view. As I got more dark adapted the shape became clearer, although it never showed the classic Gulf of Mexico shape. With better dark adaptation I’m sure it would.

Panning towards the Elephant Trunk nebula, there seemed to be plenty more up there, though I wasn’t able to identify anything specific. Likewise heading through Sadr showed more patches of nebulosity.

The Veil was essentially a no, some very vague hints of the Witch’s Broom and a possible sight of the eastern veil but far more likely to be averted imagination!

A fun little session, and something I shall do more of.

F89ABCAF-0AEF-4607-8FED-48262E54DA4D.jpeg

4B3EFCFE-1EEF-44DC-BC91-6829781B6167.jpeg

B99F13F0-5506-45E3-A3DB-9C6C3A2CF642.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Cool. My skies don’t quite allow the NAN, but I did get the veil, though I was using a larger magnification. Did the puppy come with the new house and darker skies??

Peter

Yep. The Veil does seem to need higher mag than the NAN to get in binoculars doesn’t it? I just about got it in my 10x50s the other night, well the Eastern Veil anyway.

Puppy was part of the bribery required to settle the young lady in her new environment. Meet Alma :).

AA008B1B-7366-44FD-B6B1-0B3222714594.jpeg

92CDC212-9EF5-4582-AE88-F8549ABA563F.jpeg

2FEEE098-12E9-443F-A92E-DF4E49E49114.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stu said:

I bought a pair of Chinon Countryman 7x35 Extra Wide binoculars some years back, and a kind gentleman called @PeterW 3D printed me a pair of adaptors to hold to my 2” Lumicon UHC and OIII filters nicely over the objectives.

I haven’t used them for a while, so had a quick session last night, aiming to find the North America Nebula. It was somewhat challenging with a puppy running around causing lights to come and me taking pictures of the lovely orange Moon setting over the hill, so I never really got more than about ten minutes of dark adaptation.

The Milky Way was only very faintly visible, but even then once I got Deneb into view, I could immediately see the North America Nebula with the ten degree field of view. As I got more dark adapted the shape became clearer, although it never showed the classic Gulf of Mexico shape. With better dark adaptation I’m sure it would.

Panning towards the Elephant Trunk nebula, there seemed to be plenty more up there, though I wasn’t able to identify anything specific. Likewise heading through Sadr showed more patches of nebulosity.

The Veil was essentially a no, some very vague hints of the Witch’s Broom and a possible sight of the eastern veil but far more likely to be averted imagination!

A fun little session, and something I shall do more of.

F89ABCAF-0AEF-4607-8FED-48262E54DA4D.jpeg

4B3EFCFE-1EEF-44DC-BC91-6829781B6167.jpeg

B99F13F0-5506-45E3-A3DB-9C6C3A2CF642.png

Cool - I have a pair of those but I've not used mine other than for occasional birding. I'll have to give them a go at astro sometime :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John said:

Cool - I have a pair of those but I've not used mine other than for occasional birding. I'll have to give them a go at astro sometime :icon_biggrin:

Well worth it John, good fun. 2” filters actually sit quite nicely against the objectives so could in theory be taped in place if you are feeling brave. Getting some holders printed is a much safer option though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Great idea. It's odd that purpose built bins-with-filter-holders aren't readily available.

Olly

PS Love the dog!

I agree. The only ones I’ve come across are the Canon 15x50IS which have threads on the objective end which will take a step down ring in order to accept 2” filters. Very effective under a dark sky, especially given the stabilisation.

Thanks Olly. We love the dog too. Most of the time 🤪🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1