NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Buying on ABS

Simon Pepper

Hi all 

just curious when it comes to buying on ABS as the buyer is there any safety nets for us? Never used it before just don’t want to part with a large sum of money by bank transfer if you know what I mean. Any advice would be appreciated 

thanks 

Never had any problems buying or selling on ABS but as they say on ABS best to speak to the seller on the phone. Some using ABS are on SGL so if it shows up on ABS might also be in the SGL sales section if a UK seller so worth checking.

Payment on collection might be possible as well.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I've bought and sold many items there over the years and with no issues that I can recall.

Use a common sense approach and clear communications with the seller as John suggests above.

While some items might be on SGL as well, many are not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

Hi all 

just curious when it comes to buying on ABS as the buyer is there any safety nets for us? Never used it before just don’t want to part with a large sum of money by bank transfer if you know what I mean. Any advice would be appreciated 

thanks 

It’s a reasonably safe place to buy from, but there are scammers about (as everywhere these days unfortunately), so normal precautions apply.

Make sure you speak to the person on the phone at least if it’s a pricey item, and get full contact details. Anyone genuine will be ok with that. Never pay by bank transfer unless it is someone you trust, use PayPal goods and services, and cover the cost yourself if the buyer won’t cover them. That way you have some protection. Ask for additional pictures if you feel you need them.

Safest is obviously to go and collect it personally but that may not be possible, so agree with the buyer how they will pack the item and what delivery service and insurance will be used.

I’ve bought and sold a load of kit on ABS and the only time I nearly got caught out was when I placed a wanted ad. A scammer contacted me but it soon became clear that he was dodgy just through email comms so I avoided any issues.

• Thanks 2

If you can't collect the item, PayPal (not friends and family) is the only safe option.  If it's a lot of money, I'd rather cover the fee myself for peace of mind.

I was recently targeted by a scammer on SGL from a Wanted ad, I think it's my fault the classified ads are now hidden from newer users (including me)... The first contact was quite convincing, with pictures and detailed information but I had a couple of doubts and did a Google Reverse Image search. This revealed that he'd pulled the images and text from US based Astromart adverts, which meant he initially sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

On ABAS I'm wondering whether the lunar eclipse question helps filter out the lazier scammers - I've never had a problem on there.

Cheers,
Jon