Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mewlon 180 to 210

For imaging, maybe a C9.25 is a good step up from the M180 and is much lighter than a C11. I have both C9.25 and C11, but the latter is permanently mounted in an obsy as I wouldn’t like to lift on and off each night.

But I can also understand you might have Takitis 🤣

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, jetstream said:

You realize the "big boys" like avani and kokathaman use C14's :evil: :grin:

They are both excellent resources BTW.

I thought the big boys had moved on to 16" and upwards RCs, CDKs, and weird astrographs with ultra-fast focal ratios and unpronounceable names! SCTs seem to be positively old hat at the high end of the "amateur" market.

Some of the imaging gear being used by hobbyists these days wouldn't be out of place in many smaller professional observatories.

To answer Fedele's question, I'm not sure the jump from 180mm to 210mm would be enough to justify the effort and expense. You're talking about an improvement in resolving power of less than 17% which I doubt you'd notice, and an increase in light grasp of 36% which again isn't that much.

Edited by Andrew_B

Looking on CN, owners of both Mewlon and C9.25/11 prefere the Mewlon due to better contrast, i.e. smoother mirror for visual. However for imaging the faster speed you can run the SCT at and extra aperture would make the choice more difficult. However that can lead to blue star bloat with a fast star….

58 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

However for imaging the faster speed you can run the SCT at

Not relevant for planetary imaging, assuming that’s what the OP is after. There are likely better choices for DSOs so for planetary you want focal length and aperture, as well as the good optical figure you mention.