Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tak TOEs 👉 Jupiter 🥂

Highburymark

There is a big step from a 5 mm to a 4 mm eyepiece. I don’t actually have a TOE 4 yet.  There is the occasional night when I could use one. And it’s a big step to my HR3.4.

Having said this, the last few months I’ve been using my TSA 120 with a Tak Extender 1.5, so this obviates the need for very short FL eyepieces somewhat 

• Like 1

Of course, it's clear that 4mm vs 5mm provides a significant step up in magnification which does substantially alter what the observer would "see". Other differences include the marginally better Exit Pupil with the LE - which is also due to the increased magnification - as well as 5 elements with the LE vs 6 with the TOE. Also, I'm not sure the TOEs use the Masuyama design - I distinctly remember their type being described as "Planetary" in DonP's Buyer's Guide to Eyepieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a go with a Vixen HR 1.6mm in an FC100 DZ on the moon a couple of nights ago which I think is around x550 (trying to get more than the x200ish mag I’ve had so far with D14’s, a x2 barlow and binoviewer). Obviously too big a jump and think I’ll stick to using both eyes.

• Thanks 1