Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Squid

tooth_dr

4 minutes ago, gorann said:

Maybe Baader messed up and put the wrong filter in the wrong holder or box?

I wont ever know as FLO have offered me a credit note for them.  It was certainly green/blue when I looked through it, and the labelling on the metal holder and the plastic box was correct.  I'm have ordered the slower version now.

The first set of Baader filters I received 2 of them were marked/chipped/cracked, and now the second set (Oiii version) doesnt appear to be working correctly at high speed.  In fact the Sii filter also had a line the whole way across the finish (photo below).  I dont expect to scrutinise the filters, but I was sending them back so I wanted to check over/blow off dust before I posted them off.   I appreciate that these arent Astrodon prices, but Baader have really marketed these hard, claiming many things including halo-free etc.  Then Baader have come back and said well in fact, we have had to cut corners to make them affordable, so dont expect them to be all that, and if you are buying these it's because you cant afford (or dont want to) buy Astrodons.

image.thumb.png.dd731434a6e2dec72e401c5c99a137c2.png

3 hours ago, gorann said:

My feeling looking at the star feild is that it is close to the oIII wavelength but not an OIII filter also you can tell just by holding the filter up to a light, if it looks teal then its a OIII.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I wont ever know as FLO have offered me a credit note for them.  It was certainly green/blue when I looked through it, and the labelling on the metal holder and the plastic box was correct.  I'm have ordered the slower version now.

The first set of Baader filters I received 2 of them were marked/chipped/cracked, and now the second set (Oiii version) doesnt appear to be working correctly at high speed.  In fact the Sii filter also had a line the whole way across the finish (photo below).  I dont expect to scrutinise the filters, but I was sending them back so I wanted to check over/blow off dust before I posted them off.   I appreciate that these arent Astrodon prices, but Baader have really marketed these hard, claiming many things including halo-free etc.  Then Baader have come back and said well in fact, we have had to cut corners to make them affordable, so dont expect them to be all that, and if you are buying these it's because you cant afford (or dont want to) buy Astrodons.

It looks like the filters also came with a large serving of dust! Not good advertisement for Baader this. So clearly I should be happy having the previous generation of various Baader filters.

Last week I just could not resist the temptation of buying a second-hand set of 3nm Astrodons (O, N, S, Ha) in mint condition and at 1/3 of the new price. Unfortunately they are 1.25 inch so not for my wide field images. My thought is to use them to hunt planetary nebulae with one of my SCTs.

Edited by gorann

8 minutes ago, gorann said:

It looks like the filters also came with a large serving of dust! Not good advertisement for Baader this. So clearly I should be happy having the previous generation of various Baader filters.

Last week I just could not resist the temptation of buying a second-hand set of 3nm Astrodons (O, N, S, Ha) in mint condition and at 1/3 of the new price. Unfortunately they are 1.25 inch so not for my wide field images. My thought is to use them to hunt planetary nebulae with one of my SCTs.

No the dust is mine, the filters were spotless in that respect on opening.   2" astrodons are a little more rare.

4 hours ago, gorann said:

I did wonder if my 2” mounted OIII filter was reversed, but there was no way I was going to attempt to unscrew the retaining collar and try…

Baader’s response to FLO after my return enquiry was;

Baader have asked if they can have the filter for inspection/investigation. If they conclude it is faulty they will exchange or refund.

That sounds quite reasonable, but too be honest, I don’t get many imaging opportunities to be testing things out and opening up the image train to start swapping filters, so I decided to just send the things back. The QA should be done upfront - it’s not like these ‘cheaper’ filters are £100 a pop…

Perhaps they will conclude the filter was faulty, perhaps not, but as has already been suggested, the marketing spiel has been that these are much improved and I’m afraid to say the OIII was rubbish.

It’s somewhat ‘funny’ that looking at their “we found a way” website  thread shows multiple (good and halo free) images with RASA instruments but few with refractors and their required rear flatterers/reducers. Wonder if that is…. ‘telling’ of their own results when developing..? They just chose to show the results from test imagers where the filter/image train worked in unison.

I have asked FLO to post Baader’s findings back onto the original filter thread if they do test the OIII out - as that will at least offer future potential purchasers an idea of what to expect.

Of course I would have liked ‘Astrodon/Chroma’ levels of halo free performance (unrealistic but you can live in hope!), just such a shame the halo reducing results were not acceptable for my gear - I did welcome the extra contrast and reduction of light pollution though. For those imagers that have the gear where these filters perform, then they do appear as a step up from the original (wider 7-8-8.5) set.

Sorry to hijack your thread Adam…

D

• Like 1

It appears I'm the only one that's happy with these filters albeit the ultra narrow HA and OIII, not the fast ones! Admittedly though I have tried them on a really bright star yet but besides that I'm pleased so far with the noticeable extra contrast.

I should have mentioned before Adam but cracking image by the way 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adam J said:

My feeling looking at the star feild is that it is close to the oIII wavelength but not an OIII filter also you can tell just by holding the filter up to a light, if it looks teal then its a OIII.

It was definitely green/blue as that was the first thing I did when they arrived 😂

15 minutes ago, Rustang said:

It appears I'm the only one that's happy with these filters albeit the ultra narrow HA and OIII, not the fast ones! Admittedly though I have tried them on a really bright star yet but besides that I'm pleased so far with the noticeable extra contrast.

I should have mentioned before Adam but cracking image by the way 👍

Cheers Russ.  I’ve decided to put the OSC on the fast Tak since the filters aren’t working out, and use the same ones you have on the APM 105 @ f4.8 with the mono camera.  I can’t be losing 3 full nights of imaging like this, clear moon free skies are extremely rare. 

• Like 1