NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASI2600MC PRO First light NAN full moon

Astroscot2

I took the plunge at an OSC camera as to be honest I had lost a lot of motivation on finishing any project due to the weather, free time, and restricted area of sky from my back garden, I also found I was quite unhappy

with any broadband imaging from my location and the amount of effort involved on getting a decent image.  So buying this camera was a step towards getting a final image and having data I can work on.

Last night all went well with kit and software, this was only a trial and with the full moon I was not expecting much, seeing the subs downloading I was not greatly impressed but I must say im genuinely surprised whats hidden in the data.

This is only 1 hour 12 x 5 mins through the little spacecat 51,  Darks, flats and darkflat calibrated.   LExtreme filter.

Not the best image but a good test and im excited about the possibilities 😉

Mark

NAN-OSC-session_1.jpg

Edited by Astroscot2
  • Like 22

Brilliant start.  I think this OSC has changed the way I see mono versus OSC.  I'm lucky in that I have both the OSC and mono version of this camera, and the OSC just gets you that final image much more reliably.  Even with a dual band filter, you can get decent NB data too.

• Like 2

I gnawed for weeks on the mono/osc question and finally chose the 2600mc for all the reasons you give, I'm in the west of Ireland so clear nights are like hens teeth, the thought of getting only one filter worth of data then closing down possibly for weeks just did not sit right.

So while I get all the arguments for mono over OSC it was just not a fit for me.

I've had the camera for about 8 months now and have absolutely no regrets. It's an amazing camera as you image above proves.

• Like 2

I’ve only had my 2600 it a few weeks now and really like it.  I’ve had the chance to play with it under clear skies on four occasions, two of them giving good data, and I’m really impressed with its performance. I always enjoyed using my DSLR for AP and the 2600 is like the same camera but with no amp glow, cooled chip, hardly any noise, and the same size sensor …. Oh, and it’s more sensitive in the red. 

@Astroscot2 Great picture. It looks like a narrow band image. Is it a combination of narrow band and OSC? 

• Like 2

Excellent 1st light and nice image.

I too decided on the 2600mc due to time on target. 

I live in Cheshire and so get all the clouds coming from Ireland pushing up the hills of Manchester / Derbyshire and so time on target is very limited

I use the lEnhance filter to great affect, give that a try if you have not already.

• Like 1

Great image and just imagine what you’ll be able to pull out with more integration time and no moon!

Your story mirrors mine. So many unfinished mono images due to incomplete data sets and a lot of frustration and loss of motivation. I have recently had first light with my 2600MC and now hoping I have more to show for my effort!

Good luck with the camera!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Icesheet said:

Great image and just imagine what you’ll be able to pull out with more integration time and no moon!

Your story mirrors mine. So many unfinished mono images due to incomplete data sets and a lot of frustration and loss of motivation. I have recently had first light with my 2600MC and now hoping I have more to show for my effort!

Good luck with the camera!

Thank you.  Yes really excited for the next clear night..     look forward to seeing your images, clear skies.. Mark

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

Thank you.  Yes really excited for the next clear night..     look forward to seeing your images, clear skies.. Mark

I just had a glance at your profile. My mother in law lives in Neilston! I can now definitely sympathise with your weather woes 😆🌧

• Like 1

On 20/09/2021 at 21:57, mackiedlm said:

I gnawed for weeks on the mono/osc question and finally chose the 2600mc for all the reasons you give, I'm in the west of Ireland so clear nights are like hens teeth, the thought of getting only one filter worth of data then closing down possibly for weeks just did not sit right.

So while I get all the arguments for mono over OSC it was just not a fit for me.

I've had the camera for about 8 months now and have absolutely no regrets. It's an amazing camera as you image above proves.

Almost identical reason for my choice of 2600mc too. And pairs nicely with an f2.8 scope on the front end. This camera's full well capacity give wonderful colour for fast scopes, and great dynamic range and 16 bit depth for all scopes at gain 100. I've seen great ha images from dual or triband filters too. 

• Like 2

Fabulous image - a perennial favourite of mine.  I have also bought a OSC (in my case a QHY268C so the same sensor as you) for the same reasons, namely, sick and tired of never being able to complete a project due to incessant cloudy weather. With this sensor you can get something decent in the can inside an hour, the sensor is so sensitive and good.  I have mine paired to my Samyang 135mm now and so much light gets in that results are quick and satisfying.

I'd love to upgrade my G2-8300 for a QHY268M too but there is no way I can justify it and the EFW and 36mm filters for the use it will get in the UK permacloud.

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 2

I think it's really interesting to see how many people are confirming the rationale for OSC in our sky conditions. When I was doing my thinking about my options and reading a lot, the overwhelming advice was mono-centric. Maybe not on here but for sure on another forum that will remain nameless. Anyone asking about OSC or mono was directed very strongly to mono. The arguments were,; "just mix up your filters and you get a full image in one night anyway, You WILL end up going mono anyway, mono is faster" etc. But I really just didn't buy it and I have no regrets about my choice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mackiedlm said:

I think it's really interesting to see how many people are confirming the rationale for OSC in our sky conditions. When I was doing my thinking about my options and reading a lot, the overwhelming advice was mono-centric. Maybe not on here but for sure on another forum that will remain nameless. Anyone asking about OSC or mono was directed very strongly to mono. The arguments were,; "just mix up your filters and you get a full image in one night anyway, You WILL end up going mono anyway, mono is faster" etc. But I really just didn't buy it and I have no regrets about my choice.

Yes, 100%. That's partly why I made my Urban Astrophotography website specifically about OSC from a city -- to try and give better / more up-to-date advice. And sometimes when people insist that Mono is the only option from a city, I show them this photo (OSC plus L-eXtreme, Bortle 8):

1836408028_ElephantTrunkwebresolution.thumb.jpg.e4a5a0581964ae1e212f061bbd44e4c3.jpg

Edited by Lee_P
  • Like 2