Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaLyra 8” Dobsonian “Starter Kit”

Was going to go with an Orion XT8 plus (treat for my significant birthday), but came across the StellaLyra which seems cheaper for a slightly better starting point?  New to scope owning, been on/off visual/bino observer for years, and lucky to live in a dark sky area (application in for official designation!) 

So thinking about adding in a couple of extras - so some advice please…

Collimating - Cheshire - which one? Astro essentials or premium? Also Bobs knobs for secondary seems like an idea - avoiding risk of dropping tools onto main mirror?  Seems odd that the scope only comes with knobs for primary?

Not planning to rush into new lens straight up, but Barlow seems a worthwhile early purchase - so you need one for both 1.25 and 2 inch lens types or can the converter help?

Same Q if I want a moon filter? Guessing I’d want one for the 9mm rather than the 30mm - so 1.25 assuming it’s essential for any lengthy lunar viewing sessions? 

With a Cheshire prefer a longer one as it makes it easier to see the crosshairs. While Bob’s knobs are OK you can just get thumbscrews off eBay orAmazom for a fraction of the price and will do the same job. The reason manyseconday mirrors dont bother with knobs is that they are rarely adjusted so not so important.

Probably  better to get a couple of eyepieces instead of a barlow right away.. You’ll just need a 1.25” barlow as it will be most usefull. 

Moon filters are a very individual thing. Some like them but others have no need for them. Depends on how ight sensitive your eyes are. So wait until you have looked at the moon first before buying one.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

The StellaLyra Dob is a great choice. It has excellent quality for the price.

I wouldn't bother with the secondary. You will rarely, if ever, have to collimate that. For the primary I prefer a laser collimator, but a good Cheshire is also fine.

I wouldn't bother with a Barlow right now. A good 6mm eyepiece is all you need. With your 30mm and 9mm, that will give x40, x133 and x200 - plenty there for wide field, deep sky and planetary.

• Like 1

I'd suggest not adding any telescope kit to  the package yet, apart from maybe a collimation tool , just use what  arrives, and then see how it works for you before deciding what needs to be added for your particular circumstances. The one thing I'm sure you ought to get is a book 'Turn Left at Orion' ,a really helpful , practical volume which has suggested targets and how to actually find them.

Not everyone finds they need a Moon filter , the 9mm plossl might not turn out to be an eyepiece you are happy with , you might discover that for you the excellent RACI finder needs supplementing with a rigel or  telrad ... I guarantee you will find plenty of ways to spend some more money , it's just which turn out to be priorities for you !

Heather

• Like 3

Thanks - advice noted.  Have seen plenty of other comments re +/- of Barlow vs individual lens and about laser vs other tools.  Will start with Cheshire and see how I do “out of the box”.  Have been using various star charts and apps for years, but seen so many recommendations for “Turn left at Orion” I might well invest.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to update - followed some of the advice above, so now have the scope, Cheshire, and added a 6mm in leiu of the barlow idea.  I did in the end get a moon filter.  As far as I can tell collimation is good out of the box, and we've had some good planetary views - Jupiter/Saturn - seemed to hooked my youngest daughter already which is a bonus.  Glad we got the moon filter - it's bright down this part of the world - We're in an area which is trying to get Dark Sky designation.  We were struggling a bit with the RACI finder, so splashed out on a Rigel Quikfinder - brilliant - umed and arr'd about that vs Telrad, but decided it the smaller/taller Rigel would sit better between the finder and focuser - I think they are closer together on the StellaLyra's vs Oriion/Skywatchers?  Back to waiting for another clear night!

• Like 1

That was my thought, I sort of expected to get a Rigel/Telrad from the off, but wanted to see how we got on with the RACI first.  Whilst the RACI is what I wanted (from a back ache point of view), I suspect those with a straight through finder probably have less issue getting lined up quickly?

• 2 months later...

I have the Orion Skyline 10 inch version of that scope.  It's a solid scope.  You might want to consider one of the variable power eyepieces.  They are just downright handy to have.  I have used Celestron, Orion's and Baader.  Opted for the Orion.  Light transmission was better then the Celestron, not quite as good as the Baader, but I can live with the difference for the price.

On 17/01/2022 at 23:25, Mike Q said:

I have the Orion Skyline 10 inch version of that scope.  It's a solid scope.  You might want to consider one of the variable power eyepieces.  They are just downright handy to have.  I have used Celestron, Orion's and Baader.  Opted for the Orion.  Light transmission was better then the Celestron, not quite as good as the Baader, but I can live with the difference for the price.

+1 for the convenience of a zoom. The SvBony 7-21mm zoom is a good value  entry point and it’s true the Baader is an excellent albeit expensive piece amongst the ones mentioned here. I’ve used several but pre Christmas took delivery of the SL 8-24 lanthanum zoom model. I was keen to see how this performed and although can’t offer a comprehensive review yet (only recently have we had a run of clear nights), I can report that it is a solid, well built product with a premium fit and finish to match the SL Dobs, and in my limited use so far provides extremely clear, sharp views on the targets I’ve attempted. Very few reviews around on this one so worth a report back. 

AD

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

+1 for the convenience of a zoom. The SvBony 7-21mm zoom is a good value  entry point and it’s true the Baader is an excellent albeit expensive piece amongst the ones mentioned here. I’ve used several but pre Christmas took delivery of the SL 8-24 lanthanum zoom model. I was keen to see how this performed and although can’t offer a comprehensive review yet (only recently have we had a run of clear nights), I can report that it is a solid, well built product with a premium fit and finish to match the SL Dobs, and in my limited use so far provides extremely clear, sharp views on the targets I’ve attempted. Very few reviews around on this one so worth a report back. 

AD

Yours 8 to 24 is probably the same as my Orion 8 to 24.  They are a heck of a eyepiece.  Excellent light transmission, but i wasn't paying the price.  The light transmission of the Orion good enough for me and I prefer the nice smooth twist to the Baader which had stops at each mag setting.