Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Twr Mawr Anglesey

Finally managed to drag myself over to Anglesey on a snap decision between there and the Llyn Peninsular, as it was getting late I went for  Twr Mawr lighthouse on the south western side of the island. The moon didn't set until after 10pm but when it did it was worth the 4 hour wait. I was expecting bortle 4 skies and I got bortle 3 (according to Clear Outside). I'm use to bortle 4 but the difference is well, like night and day!

had a mile an a half walk along the soft sandy beach with a heavy large kit bag. I keep all my camera equipment in it and didnt empty out what i didn't need. None the less my glasses for a good focus, light painting torch and a few other bits and bobs where left in the car by accident, and only discovered when i got to the lighthouse.

Luckily I had my phone with the Google Earth APP otherwise i probably wouldn't of found my car until day light such was the darkness. Another stroke of luck was someone turning up just after 10 who had a head torch and I managed to get one image with the lighthouse illuminated.

first image is 20 x 6 second iso2000 F2

second image single shot of the setting Moon with a bit of the Milky Way appearing.

Canon 6Dmk2 Sigma 24mm F1.4

TwrMwarStack.thumb.jpg.87fb6afedbb05628d87238075c8cc34f.jpg

TwrMwarSingleMoonSet.jpg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Andy R said:

Thanks Jeremy, yes i shall return too for a bit of DSO imaging as the carpark seemed very secure and worth the fee.

Did you park in the main car park, with the toilets and next to the beach? Did you happen to notice if the car park itself is suitable for observing or are there too many cars and lights?

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Did you park in the main car park, with the toilets and next to the beach? Did you happen to notice if the car park itself is suitable for observing or are there too many cars and lights?

Yes the main car park with the loo’s. I checked with the parking attendant if it was ok that I would be late in leaving. She thought I meant overnight camping,which is a no no, but after explaining I was there for night photography she was fine with me leaving late. There are pines trees either side but if you park nearer to the beach it has a more open horizon and tarmac floor. When I arrived just after 6pm people were leaving, and When I got back to the car just after 1am there was no sign of another car or lighting so I guess there isn’t any, it was very dark reminded me of the Aussie Outback. It’s a gated entrance which reads your number plate on entry and exit and charges you for your stay, so i guess it would keep the ‘undesirables’ away. Maximum charge is capped at £7.00 but we’ll worth the reassurance, having done a bit of imaging from local car parks before it felt safe. I’m hoping to return soon with my portable setup.  Ah yes if you have Google Earth and hover over the car park and tap the street view, then the blue line, you can see what horizon you have. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Andy R said:

Yes the main car park with the loo’s. I checked with the parking attendant if it was ok that I would be late in leaving. She thought I meant overnight camping,which is a no no, but after explaining I was there for night photography she was fine with me leaving late. There are pines trees either side but if you park nearer to the beach it has a more open horizon and tarmac floor. When I arrived just after 6pm people were leaving, and When I got back to the car just after 1am there was no sign of another car or lighting so I guess there isn’t any, it was very dark reminded me of the Aussie Outback. It’s a gated entrance which reads your number plate on entry and exit and charges you for your stay, so i guess it would keep the ‘undesirables’ away. Maximum charge is capped at £7.00 but we’ll worth the reassurance, having done a bit of imaging from local car parks before it felt safe. I’m hoping to return soon with my portable setup.  Ah yes if you have Google Earth and hover over the car park and tap the street view, then the blue line, you can see what horizon you have. 

Thanks Andy. I’ve been there loads of times during the day but never at night. I can see my favourite parking spot in a could of those pics.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks Andy. I’ve been there loads of times during the day but never at night. I can see my favourite parking spot in a could of those pics.

Jeremy I can't see a helicopter landing pad in those pics? 😉😄

Super images Andy. I feel a camping trip to Anglesey next year is due. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1