Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SKYWATCHER HERITAGE 150P VIRTUOSO GTI WIFI DOBSONIAN TELESCOPE

I just received it! I haven't connected it yet to power but I can feel that there is some backlash in alt movement moving it by hand. Is it normal?

Ps: I just connected the telescope with synscan, it moves. But I cannot connect to sky safari 6 pro. What settings do I use?

Edited by planetman83

To achieve free smooth movement the altitude clutch wheel needs to be fully loosened off. If not you get a slight movement up/down that can't be adjusted.

@happy-kat has just written same as I type.

To connect to SS you need to go into the SS app "settings" under TELESCOPE> Presets, and ensure "Skywatcher SynScanLink" in selected as the connection protocol. Then out of "settings" go into the "Scope" option on the main screen and connect - it will divert through to the SynScan app and then take you back to the SS connection. 

connection.

Edited by Astro_Dad
  • Like 1

I cannot find Skywatcher SynScanLink option. You are talking in SkySafari options in telescope setup, right? I also tried port 11882 but it doesn't work. Where can I find the exact steps I have to make? The skywatcher manual is totally useless.

Do I have to make any firmware update or something?

PS: It worked! I changed the IP address to 192.168.4.2. 

Edited by planetman83
  • Like 2

Great you got it working! 

Might be worth downloading and printing the SynScan manual (attached here) as provides useful guidance, including the details of different star alignments and when North alignment is used etc. Good practice in V2 also is to always start in the "home" position - i.e. level and pointing N as noted above by @happy-kat

Sky-Watcher | Sky-Watcher Global Website (skywatcher.com)

synscan_app_manual_en_20201008.pdf

I wonder why the need to pre-align the mount?  I've never had to do leveling or aligning of my Sky Commander DSCs on my Dob, and it's fairly accurate after two star alignment and gets better with each object realignment once centered.

• Like 1

Has anyone updated the firmware of the mount? Is there any update?

Also, the backlash in altitude is very big. Is it normal? The alt clutch is tightened and i can move up and down the tube for, I don't know, maybe 1-2 degrees?

Edited by planetman83
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I wonder why the need to pre-align the mount?  I've never had to do leveling or aligning of my Sky Commander DSCs on my Dob, and it's fairly accurate after two star alignment and gets better with each object realignment once centered.

The official guide suggests helpful but not critical to start in the “home position” when using star alignment - but like yourself  I’ve also had success  not doing this first - whether the inbuilt default pointing model (used in N level alignment) improves accuracy or not I’m not sure. 

Edited by Astro_Dad

The encoders in the mount are "dumb", in that they do not register an absolute position, but just give rotational pulses; it's the software in the mount/handset/PC that turns these into a position. At power-up, the software sets the Az/Alt position to zero (OTA facing North and horizontal). If the mount is level, manual slews to the first Synscan alignment object will give a corresponding Az/Alt reading on the display. The Virtuoso software just needs to be calibrated with the mount's celestial latitude (angle to celestial N), to give reasonable tracking; whereas Synscan needs that value + longitude + date & time so that it can form an accurate reference for GoTo alignment. Aligning with 2, or more, celestial objects, preferably with about 90 degrees Az difference, should help the software to record any slight errors in mount levelling.

Geoff

• Like 1

In my using of the synscan app  unlike the other options 1 star alignment used as soon as I turn on does go to the object, so I'll carry on with the set up I do as it I'm assuming helps the mount know where it's starting from (virtuoso v1). The other alignment options don't go to the first star chosen and need me to press the arrows to move the mount.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, planetman83 said:

Has anyone updated the firmware of the mount? Is there any update?

Also, the backlash in altitude is very big. Is it normal? The alt clutch is tightened and i can move up and down the tube for, I don't know, maybe 1-2 degrees?

Yes normal on the Virtuoso GTi model- as mentioned earlier the way to remove this movement for manual use is to fully loosen the clutch. It does not impact use when controlling electronically using SynScan. 

Edited by Astro_Dad

5 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

The encoders in the mount are "dumb", in that they do not register an absolute position, but just give rotational pulses; it's the software in the mount/handset/PC that turns these into a position. At power-up, the software sets the Az/Alt position to zero (OTA facing North and horizontal). If the mount is level, manual slews to the first Synscan alignment object will give a corresponding Az/Alt reading on the display. The Virtuoso software just needs to be calibrated with the mount's celestial latitude (angle to celestial N), to give reasonable tracking; whereas Synscan needs that value + longitude + date & time so that it can form an accurate reference for GoTo alignment. Aligning with 2, or more, celestial objects, preferably with about 90 degrees Az difference, should help the software to record any slight errors in mount levelling.

Geoff

So, will the mount slew to where it thinks the first alignment star is located based on the initial zero position?  I've heard that's how some of these mounts work, which is pretty neat for beginners who don't know alignment star names and locations.

Have a careful read of the information already provided in this thread such as the attached document I shared - it’s all there. Then play around and experiment in your own hands - no need to overly worry about  firmware upgrades etc. take it out and try it out. Get to know the ‘scope. 

Yes as mentioned a couple times this is normal - your video shows the same movement as mine does. It doesn’t affect GOTO and as noted you can refine the alignment if a target is slightly off centre - no need to worry. 
You might want to consider making a light shroud and applying some PTFE tape - well known mods for this ‘scope. 

29 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

Yes as mentioned a couple times this is normal - your video shows the same movement as mine does. It doesn’t affect GOTO and as noted you can refine the alignment if a target is slightly off centre - no need to worry. 
You might want to consider making a light shroud and applying some PTFE tape - well known mods for this ‘scope. 

Yes but when I changed to lighter eyepieces, it moved and then the goto was not accurate etc. Anyway, if you say they alla are like this, I cankot do anything about it.

I am aware of the 2 hacks. I have already tried the PTFE tape but it didn't stay in place, it teared apart.

And I will definitely make the shroud.

Yesterday I managed to split the double double, saw some other objects also.

PS: the focuser is the weakest part of this telescope.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, planetman83 said:

PS: the focuser is the weakest part of this telescope.

Most would agree here, but perhaps a reasonable compromise given all other factors. Sounds like you have had some good observation time already 🙂

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

It might be too thick but what about trying insulator tape instead of ptfe

I couldn't turn the focuser all the way with even the PTFE. I will try again.

Has anyone tried video astronomy with tiis thing?

Edited by planetman83

9 hours ago, planetman83 said:

I couldn't turn the focuser all the way with even the PTFE. I will try again.

It takes some patience and a few attempts to get it “just right” (at least it did for me). Once you do the precision and control you can achieve on focusing is pretty good.