Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SKYWATCHER HERITAGE 150P VIRTUOSO GTI WIFI DOBSONIAN TELESCOPE

Just seen a new review published of the original Heritage 150p  in Astronomy Technology today - as if we needed any further convincing it reviewed exceptionally well and even in comparison to a 132mm APO. Interestingly and in a nod to earlier on in this thread, the reviewer attached a DSLR using a nose adapter and successfully took moon shots… weight clearly no issue despite that plasticky design. There you go! I’ll have to try that at some point…

http://astronomytechnologytoday.com/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Can the T mount not insert further into the focuser?

No, for this test I used the removable T adapter from the Astro essentials Barlow, so the design limits how far in it can be inserted.

ED890BFD-F290-4FB8-80E1-0DFEA4FE9B8F.thumb.jpeg.d7e16d8a1d5cd6bf0d21680c2e6db802.jpeg

For actual use I’d ponder something like this as would likely be more secure:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-1-25-inch-t-mount-camera-nosepiece-adapter.html

have you had successful results with similar set up?

Fascinating thread... its given me a bit of a headache though... Do i go for the Heritage 150p on the vituoso or get a gte with a smaller reflector. I know the GTE doesnt have freedom find but if im honest i have only used freedom find twice and i find that the encoders have a detrimental affect on the goto system . ( my opinion , others may disagree ) 

I already have a new 72ed from skywatcher which i will put on the mount . Connecting the virtuoso  thing to a tripod is interesting ... not sure how that looks though . Anyone done this ?

Stu

@Astro_Dadthe T mount in your link would need the right T ring for your camera, though looking at your picture you already have the T ring. Your picture button little black piece looks like the actual barlow element (described as a shorty barlow) that's great it would likely screw onto the T mount (like the one in your link) when you wanted to use a barlow.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Thanks 1

Hi all.

So finally got some clear enough sky on Thursday to take the scope out and give it another go and it was great.

The addition eyepieces I now have are the Svbony 7-21mm and the 5mm BST. 

Was out with my daughter and we both had a really good time.

We checked out Jupiter and Saturn, initially with the svbony and then with the 5mm.  With the 5mm you can get in a bit closer and make out the banding on Jupiter a bit more  plus the ring around Saturn. But this has for me also highlighted the svbony is quite good too in my amateur perspective. 

I then switched back to the svbony and did some dso hunting. Managed to view the double cluster but the highlight for us both was the owl/dragonfly/ET cluster (amongst its may names).  A big shout out to the Loughton List from @Tiny Clanger I had a look through it before going out and it gave me a better understanding of what to see so I was able to make out the cluster.

We did think we would then try the moon but it's way too bright as it was just after the full moon.

Any recommendations for filters for the moon and in general?

Overall super happy, off to the cotswolds later in the week so planning to take it with me depending on the weather as the skies should be darker there.

Edited by going-supernova
  • Like 4

If you find the Moon too bright, then get this inexpensive Moon filter: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-nd96-0-9-1-25-moon-filter.html

For a bit more money you can get the variable polarising filter on the same section

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html

, with that one you can adjust how much light to block.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/10/2021 at 12:38, Stu1smartcookie said:

Fascinating thread... its given me a bit of a headache though... Do i go for the Heritage 150p on the vituoso or get a gte with a smaller reflector. I know the GTE doesnt have freedom find but if im honest i have only used freedom find twice and i find that the encoders have a detrimental affect on the goto system . ( my opinion , others may disagree ) 

I already have a new 72ed from skywatcher which i will put on the mount . Connecting the virtuoso  thing to a tripod is interesting ... not sure how that looks though . Anyone done this ?

Stu

Using a tripod is the setup I have settled on (I had a tripod already for my camera).  I find it gives me the ideal height and portability 20211023_082616.thumb.jpg.f861359aae4c88fc3c209c6e1a30bea8.jpg

• Like 3

I'll agree that if you need a Moon filter, you should go for a straightforward ND one , which will not introduce any colour tinge to the view : I bought a skywatcher moon filter and it introduces a greenish tinge which I don't like. It might be (possibly, I'm guessing here !) something which is supposed to  sharpen the view, but to my eyes it just made for a sickly appearance 😞

The ND should be (as the name suggests, and you probably know if into photography) neutral in colour. I bought the pair of polarisers which rotate to vary the brightness to use instead, and find them an annoying faff in the dob ... screw them on the bottom of the eyepiece, put it in the focuser,  take it out, rotate the turning filter a bit , put it back in the focuser really carefully so as not to accidentally turn the filter in the process, observe the effect, decide it could be better, take it out ....

The 2 polariser works nicely with my refractor or mak , where one part can be screwed to the diagonal, the other to the eyepiece, and I simply rotate the eyepiece (the filter in the diagonal stays still , but I couldn't see a way to make it easier in the dob focuser.

Heather

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, going-supernova said:

Using a tripod is the setup I have settled on (I had a tripod already for my camera).  I find it gives me the ideal height and portability 20211023_082616.thumb.jpg.f861359aae4c88fc3c209c6e1a30bea8.jpg

Reckon that looks good... Tell me is it nice and stable on that tripod?

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

Looks like a good set up there @going-supernova.  The secondary mirror totally dewed up on mine the other night - abandoned session but managed to view a few globulars earlier on. I was hoping the light shroud would help more in that regard - maybe just unlucky. I thought about the various threads I’ve read on people using hair dryers! 
I’ve also found that the 12mm  illuminated reticle eyepiece is more hassle than it’s work in terms of set up - as with the GOTO alignment process in general it just robs precious observing time…

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Lol What a flirt I am lol , just edited ... Heather

That's hilarious. 

It's very stable,  at no point do I feel like it's going to topple.

I've even started leaving it like that in the home.

It's quite a good tripod I have which is for my camera, one I've had for around 12 years.  Its not a lightweight tripod.

I use it at this height as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2021 at 08:30, going-supernova said:

I am just getting in to this hobby and have bought the same scope but unfortunately I don't think there's been a single clear night since!

This thread is pretty much the only input for subjective review of it right now after various searches...

What is your tripod that can support this? I am new to this game and from the specs it is 9kg to carry not including batteries etc?

I plan on using a Noco car booster as the power pack so hopefully that will provide enough juice but it is extra work to make an adaptor and weight too...

Thanks for any input!

• Like 1

On 06/11/2021 at 02:24, Ataraxia said:

I am just getting in to this hobby and have bought the same scope but unfortunately I don't think there's been a single clear night since!

This thread is pretty much the only input for subjective review of it right now after various searches...

What is your tripod that can support this? I am new to this game and from the specs it is 9kg to carry not including batteries etc?

I plan on using a Noco car booster as the power pack so hopefully that will provide enough juice but it is extra work to make an adaptor and weight too...

Thanks for any input!

Hi @Ataraxia

It's a regular tripod I have for my camera from about 10 years ago:Giotto's MTL9351 B Tripod + MH5011 Three Way Head Kit.

The picture is with the legs not extended and is how I keep it in the house and when using it.  I find this the ideal height for me.

Since the Virtuoso base has a tripod screw in the bottom its ideal and one of the reasons I went for this. 

Weather has been poor for me too, not taken it out for a while but I have just received my copy of turn left so plenty of reading to do while I wait

• 8 months later...

Hello guys, I am ready to buy this telescope. Do we have any new ideas about this? Any problems so far? Are you satisfied with it? 

I just read that it has also something about Freedom-find technology that you can push the telescope with your hand and the telescope doesn't lose the coordinates so you can track immediately? Somethig like push-to? Is this true? Have you use this?

Hi

After you have already aligned the telescope and are using goto and the telescope is tracking if the telescope tube is for example knocked or  nudged then freedom find means you can select the same observing target and the telescope will re centre on it or you might choose a different target again the telescope knows where it is. You might loosen the clutch and manually move the telescope tube and once you redo up the clutch you can use goto to go to a target. Freedom find it great when sharing observing as the telescope tube is more likely to get nudged. And lastly if you are out observing and your power dies then you can loosen the clutches and carry on observing manually. Freedom Find enables functions you don't always get with a goto mount.

• Like 1

It’s the ‘scope I currently have with me on holiday, and I’ve had a couple of excellent nights observing with it under clear dark skies (I’ve posted my observing reports on SGL if interested). Once you get passed the nuances of the focuser (easily solved) it’s a very capable instrument and regarded as optically excellent. I still use it manually most of the time but with practice good alignment using the Syn scan app is easily achieved, and I use this from time to time - including last week when I wanted to sweep up more targets than usual given the sky clarity. Also enables tracking planets etc.  I use a Celestron power tank - AA batteries deplete too rapidly and are best used for back up. 

Freedom Find is a feature that enables you to manoeuvre the ‘scope manually after loosening the clutches and still retain the GOTO positional information - it needs to be activated in the app and is a little buried in the Syn Scan settings but it’s there. Freedom Find isn’t a “Push To “ system though. 

For me the combination of portability and aperture makes this a winning package in many ways. 

Hope that helps for now!