Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My DIY observatory based on a security shed.

KY Cygni

I used a Rowlinson Security shed. All I really did was beef up the walls and roof sections with some extra woodwork and just added castors to the roof, plus the roll off frame of course. It works brilliantly Im very pleased with it. I will be hinging the upper part of the back wall to get a touch more sky.

09AA3580-3D7A-4972-8355-351061C77BC5.webp

3E402462-9B59-4ABC-AF82-5E1348F56304.jpeg

8F3B5732-1009-4886-892F-6763676434C8.jpeg

437ED0F0-E453-4510-A57C-C8DF164806B9.jpeg

Edited by KY Cygni
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, KY Cygni said:

Cheers, only really because I had the tri pier already. So far its been rock solid but I may amend to a central pier later on.

Just a suggestion, you could put some low power red LEDs on each leg if you find yourself tripping over them in the dark confines of the observatory. I don’t have much space at all in my dome, and although I have a pier I still bang into the counter weight arm quite regularly.

14 hours ago, tomato said:

Just a suggestion, you could put some low power red LEDs on each leg if you find yourself tripping over them in the dark confines of the observatory. I don’t have much space at all in my dome, and although I have a pier I still bang into the counter weight arm quite regularly.

Im not exactly a waif so will definitely do that, thanks for the advice.