NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

60mm scope for SA?

56 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

What would be the general consensus for a small scope for the SA, to be used with a crop sensor DSLR?

It took me a while to realise that 'SA' was Star Adventurer! I have the AZ GTI which I believe has a similar payload capacity, and I bought the ZS61 to give me a portable and light kit, and the option of being 'laptop-less' if I use it with my DSLR. I've noticed the Redcat seems to be quite a popular choice for using with the SA as well - and no need to add a flattener.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

What would be the general consensus for a small scope for the SA, to be used with a crop sensor DSLR?

Sharpstar 61 or ts version, redcat( all triplets that can be used with full frame sensors)...

Or if you're looking at doublets William optics,  altair astro..

• Like 1

Do you have a budget in mind?

The William Optics Z61 works well and I've got one myself that I've used on a Star Adventurer. You will need a field flattener though and the appropriate M48 camera adapter so that needs to be included in your overall spend.

A lighter option would be the Takahashi FS-60CB with a field flattener or reducer but it would be a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I think that general consensus is that it is a good idea :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Andrew_B said:

Do you have a budget in mind?

The William Optics Z61 works well and I've got one myself that I've used on a Star Adventurer. You will need a field flattener though and the appropriate M48 camera adapter so that needs to be included in your overall spend.

A lighter option would be the Takahashi FS-60CB with a field flattener or reducer but it would be a bit more expensive.

It’s not for me, for my nephew he wants a better scope than the ST80 he’s currently using. He’s not off to a bad start mind you, I’ve attached his M31 below:

E6A2F2CF-4EE9-4CBB-BE11-CA6516700125.jpeg.db8a37ece8d02a72d94ed263ab463d2d.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, happy-kat said:

Was a field flattener used, it's a very tidy image for the ST80. Why not use a mono camera with the ST80 to work with it to better manage blue of want colour.

I think it must have been cropped. He has a 600d and is saving for a bigger mount.  I’ve asked him to sign up here and learn from the best 🤪

14 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I’ve attached his M31 below

Indeed, that is excellent image!

How about this scope then:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-zenithstar-61-ii-apo.html

or the same think in different branding (which ever you prefer, I think FLO had it listed for a while as well, but I can't seem to find it now):

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10095_TS-Optics-PhotoLine-60-mm-f-6-FPL53-Apo---2--R-P-Focuser---RED-Line.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

It’s not for me, for my nephew he wants a better scope than the ST80 he’s currently using. He’s not off to a bad start mind you, I’ve attached his M31 below:

E6A2F2CF-4EE9-4CBB-BE11-CA6516700125.jpeg.db8a37ece8d02a72d94ed263ab463d2d.jpeg

That's a really good picture and I think he'd do well with any decent 60mm scope.

The Z61 is (as far as I can tell) the same scope as various other 60mm offerings from other brands such as the Tecnosky 60APO and Astro-Tech AT60ED and they all seem to be well regarded. The advantage of the Z61 is that you get a bit more out of the box as a package with a padded case, Bahtinov mask built into the lens cap and a decent quality and usefully sized Vixen dovetail as standard. The adjustable flattener with a Canon adaptor would be another £184 on top of the cost of the telescope.

I'm still learning my way around mine having started out just doing astrophotography with camera lenses but I did manage to get this image of the Pelican Nebula in Ha from 2h 30' integration time. It's not amazing but it was cropped from the right hand side of the frame and shows that stars are reasonably round even to the edges.

Track2-Hydrogen-alpha-session_1-St.jpeg

• Like 1