Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12v power connectors

I've bought a dc hub from Deep Sky Dad and I've got to make up a few cables. I'm slightly confused with the connector sizes. The 12v output from the hub is on 5.5mm x 2.1mm connectors but the input is on a 5.5mm x 2.5mm connector. I did actually buy some 5.5mm x 2.1mm short cables and I seem to be able to plug them into both size sockets. Can I get away with that or do I need to get a 2.5mm version?

It looks like the connector on my HEQ5 is a 2.1mm

Cheers

Steve

12 minutes ago, woodblock said:

I've bought a dc hub from Deep Sky Dad and I've got to make up a few cables. I'm slightly confused with the connector sizes. The 12v output from the hub is on 5.5mm x 2.1mm connectors but the input is on a 5.5mm x 2.5mm connector. I did actually buy some 5.5mm x 2.1mm short cables and I seem to be able to plug them into both size sockets. Can I get away with that or do I need to get a 2.5mm version?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

I used to have the same Hub...I purchased a few of these cables online for a couple of quid each  https://shop.deepskydad.com/product/dc-5-5mm-x-2-1mm-male-male-cable/?attribute_pa_cable-length=50cm

I was using a DC 12v power supply and I used this to the Hub  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-mount-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-mounts.html

Hope that helps :)

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I bought the same short cables.

What connector did you have on your DC power supply. Did you retain the cigarette lighter plug and socket?

29 minutes ago, woodblock said:

Thanks Mark,

I bought the same short cables.

What connector did you have on your DC power supply. Did you retain the cigarette lighter plug and socket?

Hi again :)

I used a 12v supply from Nevada UK which I purchased direct, And yes I've still got the lead.

54 minutes ago, woodblock said:

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

I think I am missing something...

Are you saying that the female power input connector on your DC hub has a 2.5mm pin and the male connector on the cable you have been able to plug in to it has a 2.1mm barrel?

If it were the other way round (a 2.1mm pin and 2.5mm barrel) I would say that it normally works, but they aren't designed to be that way so if you are making cables then get the correctly-sized connector, but it sounds like the socket on the hub is a 2.1mm pin...

Unless I'm missing something 😉

Ady

Unfortunately, some of these connectors aren't well thought out. If you can plug a 2.5mm plug into a 2.1mm socket, the centre post (that's the 2.1/2.5mm figure) won't make proper contact, if any at all. You need the correct plugs and sockets to avoid problems.

EDIT: It shouldn't be possible to plug a 2.1mm plug into a 2.5mm socket, the centre pin won't allow it.

Edited by wulfrun
typo

2.1's are rated at 2 amp and 2.5's at 5 amp. I find that the 2.1 centre pin can make contact with the 2.5 mm dc connector as a lot of  connector housings use a side contact that will push over the barrel till it contacts the centre pin. You can get away if low current is involved but its not good practice.

56 minutes ago, callisto said:

Hi again :)

I used a 12v supply from Nevada UK which I purchased direct, And yes I've still got the lead.

Hi Mark, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was - in your connection between the power supply and the hub input did you still have the cigarette lighter plug and socket 'in circuit'. Because the link you gave for the FLO cable leads to a cable which has the cigarette light connector.

57 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Steve,

I think I am missing something...

Are you saying that the female power input connector on your DC hub has a 2.5mm pin and the male connector on the cable you have been able to plug in to it has a 2.1mm barrel?

If it were the other way round (a 2.1mm pin and 2.5mm barrel) I would say that it normally works, but they aren't designed to be that way so if you are making cables then get the correctly-sized connector, but it sounds like the socket on the hub is a 2.1mm pin...

Unless I'm missing something 😉

Ady

I'm missing something too.  I'm also slightly confused by how they use the terms male and female on these connectors.

But anyway. The hub input socket has a 2.5mm pin. The output sockets have 2.1mm pins. You can just about see the difference. From DeepSkyDad I also bought some short cables with 2.1 size plugs on them. I found that I could plug in one of the 2.1mm plugs into the 2.5mm dc input socket  of the hub. I didn't think I should be able to but I did without having to forcing it at all. 

Thanks everyone. I'll work something out.

Cheers

Steve

I'm wondering whether you've got a DC Hub V2, which on the DSD website says is a 5.5/2.1 input, the same as the outputs.  I think it was the V1 that advertised as 5.5/2.5 input and may be the cause of some of the confusion.

But the main thing is If a 5.5/2.1 barrel tip fits, then the socket is 5.5/2.1 as well and you are good to go. (@callisto linked to a 5.5/2.1 that he uses, so this does seem to be the case.)

If you do get into the situation where you have a 2.5mm barrel connecting into a 2.1mm socket the general advice is to swap the barrel connector to 2.1mm for reliability (if it actually works at all - it can depend on the design of the barrel) - or get a connector as mentioned by @bottletopburly

Ady

2 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

2.1's are rated at 2 amp and 2.5's at 5 amp. I find that the 2.1 centre pin can make contact with the 2.5 mm dc connector as a lot of  connector housings use a side contact that will push over the barrel till it contacts the centre pin. You can get away if low current is involved but its not good practice.

Hmm not sure about that. I don't think a generic 2.1 has a rating ? A specific one might, and decent ones will be around  5-6 amps for 2.1 imho.

for example hear is a 5.5/2.1 from RS rated to 5a:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-power-connectors/0487858/

But you also get ones rated only to 1a:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-power-connectors/7719186/

You are far more likely to get voltage losses from crappy thin wire than issues with connectors if you are putting 5-10amps through it.  I use 5.5/2.1s everywhere, and have a number of 12v PSUs ratinged 4 amps to 8amps and all have 5.5/2.1s. never had any issues - and I use the cheapy 1a connectors to be honest.

However I do agreed that using a male 5.5/2.1 in a female 5.5/2.5 is not going to lead to reliability.

it's easy to just chop off the cable side plug and replace with the correct one (do measure voltage polarity - do not assume from the colour - positive pin is always positive (for our purposes*)). connectors on ebay for pennies.

stu

* with the exception of sony who tend to have negative centres for reasons best known to them.. but almost certainly to do with selling more sony stuff.

44 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

I'm wondering whether you've got a DC Hub V2, which on the DSD website says is a 5.5/2.1 input, the same as the outputs.  I think it was the V1 that advertised as 5.5/2.5 input and may be the cause of some of the confusion.

But the main thing is If a 5.5/2.1 barrel tip fits, then the socket is 5.5/2.1 as well and you are good to go. (@callisto linked to a 5.5/2.1 that he uses, so this does seem to be the case.)

If you do get into the situation where you have a 2.5mm barrel connecting into a 2.1mm socket the general advice is to swap the barrel connector to 2.1mm for reliability (if it actually works at all - it can depend on the design of the barrel) - or get a connector as mentioned by @bottletopburly

Ady

Hi Ady, I ordered the V2 but on the website page I'm looking at it says 

5 x 12V @ 10A (5.5mm x 2.1mm dc socket)

INPUT: 12V, 10A max (5.5mm x 2.5mm dc socket)

https://deepskydad.com/dchub2

Am I looking at the wrong page?

2 hours ago, woodblock said:

Hi Ady, I ordered the V2 but on the website page I'm looking at it says 

5 x 12V @ 10A (5.5mm x 2.1mm dc socket)

INPUT: 12V, 10A max (5.5mm x 2.5mm dc socket)

https://deepskydad.com/dchub2

Am I looking at the wrong page?

I think DSD needs to do some Web site management 😉  

https://shop.deepskydad.com/product/dc-hub-2/

Thanks. DSD have confirmed that all dc power connectors on the V2 hub are 2.1mm.

When I looked at it it the input connector did seem to have a slightly bigger pin but I think it was an optical illusion.