NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best upgrades for a Skywatcher AZ/EQ6 mount?

bluesilver

Hi,  I currently have one of the new Skywatcher AZ/EQ6 mounts and i am now planning to mount a Skywatcher Esprit 150 on his mount for imaging.

A big ask i know and the weight will be getting up there.

But i have been doing a bit of a search around and came across a few things from A company called Geoptik,  I think they are Italian.

But what i have found is a product they call GEOPTIK TRIANGLE FOR TRIPODS,  Basically they attach to the legs and make the tripod more stable 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7713_Geoptik-30A502---Triangle-for-various-mount-tripods-like-EQ6.html

And also a GEOPTIK SADDLE UPGRADE FOR AZ-EQ6 & NEQ6

Just interested to know if anyone has had any experience with any of these before or know if they are a worth while upgrade?

Main upgrade is Berlebach Planet tripod (no worries about stability here!) and better saddle  (I have Geoptik).

Other nice to have are better quality power cable and cable from handset to mount. The Lynx cables from FLO are wonderful 

Thanks for the replies,  I hadn't heard of them before and just did a bit of a search.

These are the wooden ones i take it?

A tad hard to find them here in Australia,  but still need to search a bit more.

I did come across AVALON T-POD 90 TRIPODs though,  similar sort of design,  not sure what they are like either.

But i am guessing much better than the standard tripod mount even with the GEOPTIK TRIANGLE

1 hour ago, bluesilver said:

Thanks for the replies,  I hadn't heard of them before and just did a bit of a search.

These are the wooden ones i take it?

A tad hard to find them here in Australia,  but still need to search a bit more.

I did come across AVALON T-POD 90 TRIPODs though,  similar sort of design,  not sure what they are like either.

But i am guessing much better than the standard tripod mount even with the GEOPTIK TRIANGLE

Yes, wooden. Excellent damping and stability

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/berlebach-tripods/berlebach-planet-with-double-clamps-for-eq6-r-az-eq6-neq6-heq5-others.html

made in Germany 

You will need nothing else - these are the best

• Like 2

On 18/08/2021 at 10:48, bluesilver said:

"Hi,  I currently have one of the new Skywatcher AZ/EQ6 mount.

And also a GEOPTIK SADDLE UPGRADE FOR AZ-EQ6 & NEQ6"

Hi bluesilver,

I upgraded the saddle plate last year, I went for this from ADM:

ADM Dual Saddle Upgrade for HEQ5, NEQ6, AVX & ZEQ/iOptron - £136  [$259.50 Australian Dollars - Last updated Aug 19, 2021, 1505UT]

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/adm-dual-saddle-upgrade-for-heq5-neq6-avx-zeq-ioptron.html

ADM  https://www.admaccessories.com/

Much better than the SW original. As you can see from the comparison photo, much wider contact area with the dovetail bar, feels more secure.

Hope that helps,

Chaxastro

"Humour is reason gone mad" Grouch Marx

20210716 AZEQ6GT EQ Head.jpg

20200823 Replacement ADM saddle plate.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos,  Yes looks like a much better option that the original setup.

Any chance that you can please tell me how long the ADM plate is?

Looks like you have a very decent solid mount there also.

That could well be another option, a solid pier if i can find a good spot to that isn't going to be in the way too much when not in use.

Edited by bluesilver

On 20/08/2021 at 07:13, bluesilver said:

"Any chance that you can please tell me how long the ADM plate is?"

Looks like you have a very decent solid mount there also.

That could well be another option, a solid pier if i can find a good spot to that isn't going to be in the way too much when not in use."

Hi bluesilver,

Length of ADM saddle plate, approx 18cm.

My DSLR is mounted on a ball and socket head, fitted to a Vixen dovetail that measures 19cm.

As you can see in the photos, it sticks out a few mm either end of the saddle plate.

A pier is a good option if you can do it. Location is always a compromise. I made sure I could see Polaris above neighbours roof for ease of polar alignment (you can do it without) and that was about it.

EQ head stay outside in all weathers housed in a 'mini-observatory', a 2-part box that lifts off and very easy to refit and the end of your observing session. May post it on here at some point.

Any thing else you want to know, just ask!

Regards,

Chaxastro

"Humour is reason gone mad" Grouch Marx

20210716 Replacement ADM saddle plate2.jpg

20210716Replacement ADM saddle plate3.jpg

I think the Berlebach Planet is the best thing you can add to the AZ-EQ6GT for a reasonable cost.  The standard tripod resembles half-cooked spaghetti when trying to place a scope like the Esprit 150 on it.  The leg braces do help somewhat but the thin tubes used by Skywatcher mean that you really cannot extend the legs at all if you want stability.  I started modifying my AZ-EQ6GT setup first with a DIY leg brace, then I swapped the tubes for longer, thicker walled tubes.  I eventually abandone the GMT128 tripod altogether and bought the Takahashi TMT70300 tripod.....

No more issues with vibrations or worry about load capacity....

MIS_7189.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I think the Berlebach Planet is the best thing you can add to the AZ-EQ6GT for a reasonable cost.  The standard tripod resembles half-cooked spaghetti when trying to place a scope like the Esprit 150 on it.  The leg braces do help somewhat but the thin tubes used by Skywatcher mean that you really cannot extend the legs at all if you want stability.  I started modifying my AZ-EQ6GT setup first with a DIY leg brace, then I swapped the tubes for longer, thicker walled tubes.  I eventually abandone the GMT128 tripod altogether and bought the Takahashi TMT70300 tripod.....

No more issues with vibrations or worry about load capacity....

MIS_7189.jpg

🤩🤩🤩what a setup Matt!
Looks at Tak Central.
how would you compare that Tak tripod with a BB Planet?

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

🤩🤩🤩what a setup Matt!
Looks at Tak Central.
how would you compare that Tak tripod with a BB Planet?

Jeremy, the  Planet is more than sufficient for any normal load, especially if the legs aren't extended too much.  I used the Planet for several setups without any problem at all.

This Tak tripod is the one specified for the EM400 and EM500 mounts, it has a load capacity of 1000 lbs or 450Kg, it is overkill but I use it for outreach and have had people bumping into it without it affecting the view at the eyepiece, even with the legs fully extended it retains full stability.

7 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Jeremy, the  Planet is more than sufficient for any normal load, especially if the legs aren't extended too much.  I used the Planet for several setups without any problem at all.

This Tak tripod is the one specified for the EM400 and EM500 mounts, it has a load capacity of 1000 lbs or 450Kg, it is overkill but I use it for outreach and have had people bumping into it without it affecting the view at the eyepiece, even with the legs fully extended it retains full stability.

Thanks Matt. I have a BB Planet with my AZEQ 6. Was wondering if you’d noted any difference compared with the Tak tripod 

I don't know if this is useful but a couple of years ago I briefly imaged with an Esprit 150 on a standard SW EQ6-R and tripod at 2.08" per pixel. I had no problems with stability or guiding, but it was important to get the set up balanced.

NewLRGBComposite.thumb.jpg.0d391d281a65693bb4743148c4ff6814.jpg

• Like 1

Surely looks like a solid tripod you have there.

My other option that i was possibly looking at was just to go with a Skywatcher EQ8-R mount and tripod.

Kind of just upgrade to a bigger mount and if in future i get a bigger scope i will already have the mount as i am pretty much getting near the limit where i am now.

I don't think i need to go for the EQ8-RH version,  that would just be over the top for what i want as i am not in a permanent dome setup,  i am in the back yard,  so pull down and pack up each night.

• Like 1