Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter

Just been looking at Jupiter through my 4 inch frac with a Morpheus 6.5mm. No filters Spectacular at 110x. Looks massive tonight. A real opportunist unexpected clear evening and well worth setting up.  Saturn was pretty sharp tonight too. 

• Like 4

I'm not a filter user for planetary observing myself (I've tried quite a few but they didn't do anything for me) but some folks like them. The Baader Neodymium is one that gets mentioned quite a lot.

Oddly, for planetary observing, dark adapted eyes don't really help. Observing in twilight often gives the most contrasty views. Jupiter can be really spectacular when there is still some light left in the sky. The contrast and colours seem to be at their best.

• Like 1

A don't find that the Baader Neodynium helps that much with Jupiter. For Mars it's great - but that might just be me.

As @Johnsaid, dark adaption doesn't help. I keep the kitchen lights on and occasionally look up. I've heard of people shining a torch onto something white and looking at it.