Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any info on these please

Tiggy36

The Soviets manufactured and exported all sorts of consumer items to the west during the '60s, '70s and '80s in order to get hard currency. Most of these items were of fairly good quality. Think Sekonda watches for example. They certainly will be made to last.

This is the KOMZ logo

Image result for komz logo

Edited by Astro Noodles
  • Like 3

I’ve got a later pair which are probably similar optically- they’re really solid build quality and similar slightly warm but very sharp view as Zeiss Jena Jenoptems. Yours have the individual focus that would be a pain for birding but ideal for astronomy as you’ll leave them focussed at infinity. Nice bins 

Mark

• Like 2

I think the first two numbers are the year of manufacture  so yours are very early..

I've two Komz bins, This decent condition 1982 8x30's were only a tenner from a local bootsale and they're fab to view through!

spacer.png

I also have this battered 1965 (But still optically smashing!) 8x30 that seemed to have the orange filters on for decades with the trouble I had getting them off!, This set was a fiver but the case for them had a broken Halina in it, Had to buy those to get the case- They were only three quid!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

When I got them home I found the original  manual/Guarantee/receipt in the bottom of the case!!

spacer.png  spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png 

The ocular lenses were beautifully clean when I finally prised the filters away from the decades of gunge that had glued them in place!! 🤨

Oh, By the way, They bear a striking resemblence to the Zeiss Jena, Coincidentally taken over after the war in Easy Germanby!!

spacer.png

John 👍

• Like 3

20 hours ago, johnbaz said:

Oh, By the way, They bear a striking resemblence to the Zeiss Jena, Coincidentally taken over after the war in Easy Germanby!!

Yes, the Russians took all the Zeiss machinery and drawings back to the USSR apparently, and started making and selling them in their thousands to Europe especially, as a means of obtaining much needed western currency.

Apart from sometimes smelling of fish (no, really, the pong can be quite striking!), the bins are generally built like tanks, very sharp, and with a slightly warm cast to the view. 

These were also issued to the military, as they were so robust, and the orange yellow filters often supplied with them were for use in snowy terrain, to reduce glare.

I had a pair for £13 from Gumtree in lovely condition..I eventually gave them to.my daughter and her husband.and they use them to this day for birdwatching.

Another good Russian/Soviet brand worth looking out for are Tento..their large 20x60s are superbly sharp if well collimated..

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Like 4