Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS pass with Russian module nearby now! 23.37 21st July 2021

Stu

1 minute ago, Littleguy80 said:

Just saw it too. Thanks for the heads up, Stu. Would have missed this otherwise. Tracked the ISS in the frac for a little bit. Spotted the Russian module naked eye following along behind. Very cool!

Good stuff Neil. I missed the Russian module! How far behind was it? Couldn’t see it in binoculars but perhaps it was further behind?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good stuff Neil. I missed the Russian module! How far behind was it? Couldn’t see it in binoculars but perhaps it was further behind?

It was traveling around the same speed as the ISS and maybe 1-2 seconds behind it. I’m terrible with judging distances. It was further behind it than I was expecting. 

• Like 2

Aw - missed it !

Thanks for the heads up anyway :smiley:

I saw the infamous dropped "tool bag" quite a few years ago - the smallest thing (apart from a meteor I guess) that I've seen in space. It followed the ISS for a while before re-entering and burning up. It was a binocular object for a while:

https://www.space.com/6160-backyard-skywatchers-find-tool-bag-lost-space.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, John said:

Aw - missed it !

Thanks for the heads up anyway :smiley:

I saw the infamous dropped "tool bag" quite a few years ago - the smallest thing (apart from a meteor I guess) that I've seen in space. It followed the ISS for a while before re-entering and burning up. It was a binocular object for a while:

https://www.space.com/6160-backyard-skywatchers-find-tool-bag-lost-space.html

Sorry you missed it, John but great story with the tool bag!

• Thanks 1

• Stu changed the title to ISS pass with Russian module nearby now! 23.37 21st July 2021

I saw something very bright around that time moving fast and constant. I pulled away from M31 to view it. I guess this was my first sighting of ISS? Very bright and too fast for me to track and focus at the same time!