Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

storing it all

Evenin' all,

So where do you guys store all the observing equipment? I have grab and go ED102 but by the time I have grabbed the scope and mount, eyepiece case, image stabilised binoculars, observing note book, clipboard, sketching pencils, rubber, blending pencil, red torch, star atlas, observing stool, filters, filter wheel, head torch, camera mount ...... it is not a quick set up. This is before I put on the cold weather gear!

What I am after is a case that will store all the above (except the scope and mount which is in the shed) securely so it safe from the short people in the house and so that I can grab it and be outside with the minimum of preperation.

I am currently using a plastic tub but is there something more suitable? I guess a toolbox or fishing tackle box might provide good storage?

Any help and ideas?

Mark

Hi Mark - welcome to SGL.

I have an ED102 as well - mines a Vixen on a Porta Mount which is pretty grab and go. I keep mine set up in the dining room but my kids are teens now so I don't have that issue to contend with.

I keep my eyepiece collection in a Maplins foam lined case away from curious fingers (the eyepieces are worth more than my scopes !) but I don't have all the other stuff that you list - if I did I guess a capacious toolbox of some sort would be needed as well.

John

The answer depends on the scope I actually take out. For the 16" LB, I grab the ocular case only ( the LB is already a lot to take out.. ). I have my star atlas ( Astromist ) in my pocket Pc.

For a photosession it gets more complicated, but still doable. The EQ6 is always in the garden, there is a water resistant box next to it with the counterweights. So I need to take out the scope, my ocular case and camera bags, plus the notebook case. There I have all cables in as well. Normally in 15 minutes I am ready for a fotosession. Maybe I am weird, but I enjoy to prepare the setup also :(.

The most easy one when I go out for a quicky with the 100mm Skymaster bino - I can take the bino on my shoulder, the mount in my hand and there I go !

cheers,

Janos

All of my equipment is kept in the garage , my two telescopes and mounts are kept covered and off the ground on a long workbench and all my eyepieces , red dot finders etc are all locked up in a wooden chest of draws. It is a short haul through the utility room and into the back garden or a case of openinig the garage door and setting up on the drive , eitherway I am up and running in about 10 minutes and because my garage is unheated very little cooldown time is needed.

Vlebo

Archived