Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Rival for Epsilon Lyrae ?

John

Eplison Lyrae is the famous "double, double" star in Lyra of course and very nicely presented it is at this time :icon_biggrin:

Tonight though, when observing the Moon, low down amongst the stars of Scorpius, I also took some time to have a look at the nearby background stars and came upon Nu Scorpii also known as Jabbah.

With my 100mm refractor at 225x this star proves to be rather special and actually a multiple system. At it's heart are a couple of close pairs of stars known as Mitchel 2 and Burnham 120.

The dimmer pair (Mitchel 2) are 2.3 arc seconds apart and the brighter Burnham 120 pair are a much more challenging 1.3 arc seconds - barely split with the low altitude of this group from here. The brighter pair do show pale blue and orange tints.

A nice "double, double" and not one I've observed for some time, if at all.

This sketch is from the Astronomical Society of South Africa website and shows the high power, refractor view:

Nu-Sco-sketch.jpg.93e74ab0c712a3159c11d9ec37e39f97.jpg

From South Africa this one may indeed rival Epsilon Lyrae. From my vantage point in the UK though, it's low altitude means that it is quite a challenge to split all 4 principle components so I'll still give the nod to the foursome in Lyra :icon_biggrin:

Nice quad in the Scopion though !

Note: I've edited this post to correct my attribution of the image. It was in fact an astronomer named Agnes Clerke in 1905 who proclaimed Nu Scorpii to be "“perhaps the most beautiful quadruple group in the heavens.”

The artist behind the sketch is probably David Blane of the ASSA.

Edited by John
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I've never seen that one - sounds really good. I'm sure though it's below the level of my fence so a no go for me :sad2:

It's just gone behind a tree for me now. My observing "window" for Scorpius is not very long and between my neighbours house and a large chestnut tree. Not ideal but at least it's something.

I managed to get the split on Antares again with the 100mm. It's intermittent and the atmospheric diffraction effects on the primary star can be misleading but the true secondary star was gleaming dimly more or less due west of the primary during moments of better seeing.

• Like 1

My back garden southern observing "window" is also a narrow gap between houses. I managed to get my first glimpse three weeks ago but could split only the AB and CD pairs at 41", neither would give up any more (the CD/Mitchel2 pair should be within reach of my 6", in the right conditions).

I read that the system most likely has seven components!

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

...I read that the system most likely has seven components!

So did I. Comparable with AR Cassiopeiae in this respect apparently. Very unusual.