Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC443 (the jellyfish)

centroid

Here's a result from my SXVF-H9C after it's trip back the Terry Platt, to sort out the low dynamic range of the camera, which I'd struggled with from 'day one'.

Not a brilliant result, but certainly encouraging, and a step in the right direction, and I now look forward to trying the camera unde good 'seeing'

However, it certainly seems to have brought the camera to life, with the stars now 'hitting' the full 65535 ADU level (only ever made 54000 ADU until Terry sorted the problem component).

The image is the result of 18x600 sec subs, captured through the 80mm Meade APO. Processed in AA4 and P'shop.

Guided with AA4, and the Lodestar/WO 66 combo.

Note that the Hutech IDAS filter was not used here, just a standard IR blocking filter.

Dave

post-13389-13387735572_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

The camera certainly seems to be picking up more detail now.

On my monitor, it's showing a large violet square over the nebula area? - stretching from right to left?

Hope you don't mind me mentioning it.

Any ideas?

Barry.

Hi Barry

I think that is a genuine colour, or at least a seen by the camera, in the darker area of the nebula.

The bright gradient in the low right hand corner, is the bright star Propus, which is just outside the frame.

Dave

Yes, it does indeed Barry :(, every odd.

If I look at it square on (my monitor is cailbated with a Spyder3 Pro), its not that evident as a distinct shape, but if view the screen at an angle then its very clear to see.

I certainly didn't rotate the camera, or any of the subs in processing. I'll go back and have look at the all the subs, and see if I can find answer.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Rob, I am indeed pleased that the camera now appears to be at where it should be.

After moving up from the MX7C, I just never felt happy with the H9C, but not having anything to compare it with, I could not be sure whether that's how it was, or whether there was a problem.

However, I know know that it had a faulty capacitor, right from the start, which, according to Terry P, was causing an Op Amp to operate in a non-linear manner.

Dave

Ok, I found the problem :p

When I uploaded (via the network connection) the subs from the obs PC to the indoor PC, I picked up a set of IC443 subs, that I'd taken on the 3 2 09, along with those of the 13 2 09 (the ones I wanted).

Put all these together and processed them :(

There was a rotational difference between the those taken on the 3rd, and those on the 13th, hence the strange alingnment effect.

I should have guessed with regards to the violet/magenta area, as those taken on the 3rd, were via via the IDAS filter, hence to odd colour cast.

So, that was todays deliberate mistake, just to test your powers of observation, and Barry wins first prize :D

If you believe that, then you'll believe anything :D

Right then, here's just the 11x600 subs from the 13th, taken without the IDAS filter (hence no colour cast).

With an hour's worth of exposure less, there's more noise and less fine detail, as to be expected, but no more magenta squares in the image :happy11:

I reckon that on something like the 'Jelly', with the H9C and an 80mm scope at f/6, the 2 hours+ exposure would be about right.

Dave

post-13389-13387735589_thumb.jpg

Glad everything is up and running now Dave, you must be pleased to have that sorted finally

I certainly am Martin, its been two year uphill struggle, ever since I upgraded to the H9C. If I could have compared it with another H9C, it would have confirmed my suspicions, and it would have been sorted early on. But there you go, 'water under the bridge' now.

As far as the IDAS filter goes, I really don't see that I have a need for it. As I said before, my only LP is to the North, and that's not bad really.

I'd have been better of buying an Ha filter instead, but then hindsight would be a wonderful thing.

Dave

Archived