Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binos!

Just a general question as to whether these would be a good buy?http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_15x70_Binocular_Special_Offer.html#aBC011

For when i am at uni, As I have decided I will leave my telescope at home, so I want somthing I can use and isnt going to take up a van to move!! :( I saw the celestron ones but these were £30 more and dont really have that kind of monies at the moment :)

I have a pair of the celestron 15x70's and they are great for free viewing. The main problem with them is the weight, they are pretty heavy and I find it best to tripod mount them if I'm going to be using them for any length of time. Or lay on the ground and use your cheeks for support.

Have you had a look at the Binos from Lydles., £12.70. There 10 x 50 and not too heavey. I got a pair last week and had a great evening with good views of the moon, the Pleadies and Orion. One or two other membeers have also given them a good report.

Terry

I have a pair of the celestron 15x70's and they are great for free viewing. The main problem with them is the weight, they are pretty heavy and I find it best to tripod mount them if I'm going to be using them for any length of time. Or lay on the ground and use your cheeks for support.

Bit cold this time of the year

I don't think I would recommend 15x70's if you don't mount them. I find anything above 10x difficult to hold steady. I do view starfields layed on my back with my 15x70,but only in the summer. You could always try a monopod with a T-bar and a couple of good elastic bands.

I would recommend something in the 8x40 range.

I would speak to Steve at FLO.

Good luck with your choice.

Haven't tried the Revelations, but I can also recommend the Celestron 15x70 binz which have similar specifications. Other than for planetary views, I find the binz + cheap tripod better overal than my 5" newt!

I have the Revelations. We found them such good value we got a pair each. Only trouble was the horizon tripod to keep them steady costs more than the bins.

(But that tripod is very solid and goes up over 6' so you can stand under the bins without getting all bent up! The best pose is upright, holding two of the legs - one in each hand - which allows you to nestle your eyes in the bins eyecups without shaking or tipping the bins. )

i bought http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Special_Revelation_15x70_Binoculars_and_Tripod_Deal.html a couple of weeks ago. tripod is ok, not so stable at full length it stopps wobbling after 3 -4 seconds. as for views, no complaints. the moon looks fantastic, pleadies are lovely, i can have a look at the orion nebula (in no great detail but i can see it.. a smokey grey haze)

bang for buck binos, youll be happy with them

Up turned broom as a monopod is a cheap alternative! Just rest your elbows on the 'bristles' and away you go. Alternatively, a sun lounger and a sleeping bag are another option...

The bins you are looking at seem very good value.

Hello "eccentric!"

Well, as you can see from the posts above, binoculars of the size you are looking at (15x70's) will ideally, require some form of support to enable you hold them steady.

My own opinion of the use of binoculars in astronomy is that they should be used as an valuable "addition" to your telescope, and perhaps not "instead" of your scope.

In my opinion, you may be better off with a pair that are light enough to hold freely, give a good bright and crsip image, and a reasonably wide field of view.

(7x50's, 8x40, 8x42's).

You can take these outside and quickly scan the night skies, locating objects, or areas of sky where you might want to train your scope on. Also, you can hold this size of binocular comfortably for quite long periods.

One other thing. If you are thinking of buying a pair of binoculars, do try and go to a shop where you can physically try a pair out. Even a binocular with an excellent specification on paper, may prove uncomfortable to use when you actually look thorugh them!

Of course, you can buy a pair through mail order (from a reputable dealer), but do ensure that you can send them back for an exchange (or complete refund) if found to be unsuitable (uncomfortable to use).

Best wishes on whatever you choose!

Regards,

philsail1

Archived